New Contributor

Skeptical and nervous to try WEN

Hi! Im new to the board, and for a while now Ive been anxious to try WEN. However, coming across a lot of negative reviews (a lot concerning hair loss), Im nervous to try it(again..). It seems like this product is a hit or miss, either amazing or horrible. My hair texture is average shoulder length, thick and prone to dryness, although it is overall healthy. I come from a more latin background and though by hair is pretty thick and strong, it can be poofy and frizzy. I remember trying WEN once, the almond mint, and at first I didn't like it. It was difficult to wash out, but as time went on it become a really nice deep conditioner - but I didnt use it religiously. I remember loving the smell! But I am really concerned at all these hair loss stories! I dont recall experiencing that the first time, however it didnt exactly prevent hair loss either. Im really in love with my thick hair and after a short stint with hair loss after a stressful period, I really don't want to go back to that! Many people seem to think it has a lot to do with the menthol it contains, but I love menthol! I love all mints, peppermint, tea tree etc and actively seek out shampoos that contain it and it has always been beneficial. I am also quite resilient to allergens. I have none that I know of and my skin is not easily irritated. Maybe I am just trying to convince myself, but I really dont want to take a dangerous gamble if all my hair is going to fall out... any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post!

Super Contributor

Re: Skeptical and nervous to try WEN

Oh not to be..You will find a whole gang of WEN users here. I do not use it but never fear they have groups here and offer tons of advice.

Super Contributor

If you've used WEN before without experiencing hair loss, then I really wouldn't worry about it. I don't mean to downplay your concern, but it really seems like a non-issue if you've previously used the product with no problems. Smile

Valued Contributor

Not sure what your concern is if you have used it in the past with no problems. If you are using menthol, peppermint, etc. and not having issues, I'd say jump in!

Super Contributor

Sorry, I've just re-read your post, and now I am confused (lol). {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Your title says you are nervous to try WEN, but you write that you have tried it in the past with no adverse reactions. Why are you looking for reassurance on a product that you already know didn't cause issues?

Respected Contributor

Hi Stella: When you speak about hair loss and your previous WEN use you say "I dont recall experiencing that the first time, however it didnt exactly prevent hair loss either." Can you say more about that? I'm not sure what you mean.

If you didn't experience hair loss, then I agree with others that you might want to give WEN a good try. If you have the ability to spring for A219409 ($66) it will allow you to sample the core line to see which combinations might work best for you.

New Contributor

Hi again!

I know it sounds needless to worry, but I losing hair before made me overly cautious to ever encourage that reaction again. To answer your questions, yes I did use it before (but yearrrs ago) and like most deep conditioners it caused some hair fall, but I think I would have a standing memory if it had caused concern. Maybe the forumula has changed since. I don't think I would raect to it and might chalk up other reviews to allergic intolerances..but one time of really bad shedding might seem one time too many for me, my hair already sheds quite a bit, or maybe just seems a lot and I dont want to aggravate anything?

Thanks for all your replies!

Super Contributor

The WEN formula hasn't changed, so you don't need to worry about that. If you use other products with mint and menthol in them, you don't have an allergy to that, so menthol in WEN won't be a problem for you.

If it worries you to try it, then don't, simple answer.

Frequent Contributor

In regards to your hair loss and menthol. There are a number of hair products that contain menthol. In fact I read that menthol actually encourages hair growth. You may want to consider seeing a physician/dermatologist if you are losing hair. Good Luck.

Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 Colonel Meow said:

Sorry, I've just re-read your post, and now I am confused (lol). {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Your title says you are nervous to try WEN, but you write that you have tried it in the past with no adverse reactions. Why are you looking for reassurance on a product that you already know didn't cause issues?

I will agree with her, as we age even 1 month we may have changes in our body,causing our hair to change. I can also say that it is no secret that products change without warning us.

I feel she is asking if the changes have recently happened in WEN prior to re starting again.

She has a legit question .