Contributor

Good morning ladies.

My 26 year old daughter is struggling with moderate-severe acne. This has started over the past 6-8 months. She had a blemish or 2 in high school but nothing like this. She removed gluten and dairy from her diet, no result. She tried Proactive, Serious Skin Care etc..no result.

She finally went to a derm who put her on Spirolactone, birthcontrol, Adaptolene gel and benzoperoxide..minimal effect over 3 months. She just went back and they are now trying antibiotic and Retin A..she is humiliated and my heart breaks for her..The derm said id no result in 4 weeks Acutane.

Does anyone have any ideas that worked for them...homeopathic etc.

Struggling in NY..thanks ladies

Respected Contributor

I would highly suggest 2% BHA liquid from Paula's Choice; excellent. The only product she will need.

If you can't click through the link above, Google Paula's Choice 2% BHA.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Some people have experienced positive results using a good cleansing oil. The idea is that the oil cleans the pores out without drying the skin. Some people like DHC, but I didn't care for that one. My favorite is Dr. Young's Camellia Cleansing Oil (find it on Amazon). Some people use cleansing oil as their only cleansing step. Others use it as a first step and follow up with another gentle cleanser.

Also look into Bee Propolis. It can be an oral supplement, a bottled extract adding to a cup of water to drink or a few drops added to cleanser, or a packaged treatment product with it as an ingredient. She can decide what form she wants to try, or do a two pronged approach doing both topical and oral. I don't have an acne problem, but I have been adding a few drops of Propolis extract to my cleanser and toner as needed. I haven't done it, but I think the extract can be applied directly, too, using a q-tip. Word or warning, though...if she is allergic to bees, propolis should be avoided. Whatever she tries, she'll need to give it a few weeks before she'll know if something is working or not.

Also - whatever she chooses, I hope she finds something that works. I can only imagine the effect this is having on her emotionally and psychologically.

Super Contributor

I had good skin in high school..then at age 20 my skin took a dark turn. I had open wounds on my face all over from my eyes-down. It was awful. The derm tried all you mentioned and also a 6-month round of an antibiotic (doxycycline I think) and it left my teeth stained. Luckily whitening fixed that later.

Anyway..they finally put me on the lowest dose treatment of Acutane for 6 months. While my face didn't clear right away, it stopped getting worse and when it was over my face immediately was clear and I have only had the occasional breakout ever since. I think it literally changed how my skin works for the better.

I know a lot of people are scared of Acutane and/or had horrible side effects during and/or after, but the only thing I endured was hair loss, but it was all growing back soon after treatment was over. I'm so so thankful for it.

Anyway..that is my story. I hope she finds something that works for her and soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Since JLF mentioned oils, here is a good explanation of which oils help which skin types. She specifically references acne.

http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/

Respected Contributor

I agree with post #1 - Paulas Choice BHA 2% liquid. Just shake some of the liquid onto your fingers and rub it in that way, dont mess with cotton balls, they waste your product.

Also Manuela of Isomers makes a nice acne problem skin kit, find it either at shophq.com or Isomers.ca

Valued Contributor
On 9/29/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I would highly suggest 2% BHA liquid from Paula's Choice; excellent. The only product she will need.

If you can't click through the link above, Google Paula's Choice 2% BHA.

Good luck.

This would be my first choice as it really seemed to help me.

Also, there's a website, I believe it's acne.org that has some good info. I am now in the process of trying apple cider vinegar (Bragg's). I started out a few weeks ago with a 10:1 ratio and applying this to my face. Do not use it full strength. If you google using this method, there's many websites and testimonials of how it's helped many people. I started this about 4 weeks ago, applying it with a Qtip and am now down to a 1:4 ration (using water). I have seen some good results. The bonus is that it's a very inexpensive way to control the acne.

I will say; however, that the 2% BHA is also a good recommendation; she may want to try that first.

Respected Contributor
Try this it's offered at HSN.com CUSTOMER PICK SERIOUS SKINCARE Continuously Clear Trio - Adult #099521 $29.95 S&H: $6.21 Also has she been drinking a lot of milk. Please do your research on Acutane........!!!!!!!
Respected Contributor

Birthcontrol & Accutane all worked for me. Had several, 2 or 3 courses of Accutane. Loved it! It is the best and only treatment for cystic acne.

Currently taking Spirolactone. It's working as well.

Respected Contributor

Has she tried Buzz On Acne?