Regular Contributor

If you have oily/acneic skin, which foundation is considered the 'healthiest' for you skin?

If you've been to a dermatologist what do they consider the 'healthiest' foundation for your skin if you have oily/acneic skin? With so many brands to choose from, many of them claiming their foundation is good for your skin I wonder what the docs recommend? It seems like so many brands sold make that claim and I wonder what makes it that way? I've always heard that even if a foundation says it's oil free it still has some oil in it so I'm stumped. I know for a while Bare Minerals was the rave but I'm one of those that never liked it. I've not tried their liquid formula as when I used it they just had the powder you buffed into your skin. It Cosmetics foundations all seem very heavy and I don't know if they would work. And Argain oil foundations seem like they wouldn't have enough coverage. And these are just some of the brands on the Q. I know there are many more brands out there. I'm looking forward to any insights and suggestions you can share. TIA, Gloria

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have oily/acneic skin, which foundation is considered the 'healthiest' for you skin?

My derm always recommended Almay.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have oily/acneic skin, which foundation is considered the 'healthiest' for you skin?

My derm said Almay, too. Or Clinique or Physicians Choice. I still fall back on Clinique sometimes, but am having trouble finding a shade light enough (can you say "white?")

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 lovestoteach said:

My derm said Almay, too. Or Clinique or Physicians Choice. I still fall back on Clinique sometimes, but am having trouble finding a shade light enough (can you say "white?")

This will be an interesting thread. I have had 2 derm and 1 allergist warn me AGAINST Clinique. I have sensitive , and had acne prone skin (still oily). I use Bobbi Brown or Tarte Amaz. Clay make–up.
Super Contributor

I have also been advised against Clinique so if I were you I would beware. My derm said Clinique is more for sensitive skin vs acne. 3 derms I've been to in the past 10yrs or so all have said mineral foundation. I know you said you don't like BE. I've used Jane Iredale for a few years now and like it way better than BE. You can check out all of their foundation options on their site & you may have a location near you that sells the brand. You could also call them or e-mail to see what they suggest. I've loved everything I've tried from the brand. HTH! Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin and have the best luck with mineral foundations (which I prefer to a liquid, anyway). For years, I used Bare Minerals, then switched to their matte version when it was introduced. A few years ago, I tried Jane Iredale for the first time and I love it. I still have lots of old foundations that I'm using up, but I really like the Jane Iredale pressed mineral foundation. It wears well, provides nice coverage, doesn't get cakey or turn orange.

If you're looking for something that might be more readily available, I also like it Cosmetics Celebration foundation (pressed powder form). In the black case, not the illumination one. I tried this for the first time this summer and really like it, as well. To me, it compares nicely to the Jane Iredale formula.

Respected Contributor

I don't know about "healthiest", but to me, the best foundations are the ones that don't break me out, give me the coverage that I want, control my oil (which has to start with my skin care or no foundation works for me.) & wears well all day. Powder/mineral foundations have never worked well for me. They never give me the oil control that I need. Laura Geller Balance & Brighten is the best that I have tried, but I don't count on it for a long day. The liquid foundations that work for me are: Mac Studio Fix Fluid, Matchmaster, Pro Longwear, Studio Sculpt, Napolean Perdis China Doll, tarte Tinted Treatment BB Primer SPF30-which to me is just a nice mid-weight foundation or Revlon Colorstay Whipped. I do have the Josie Maran Argan SPF 47 & it doesn't have much coverage, but works surprisingly well on my combo/oily skin. I mix any 2 of these together, whichever 2 I may have at the time, to get the coverage/color that I want.

Respected Contributor

I've not been to a derm, but I know what is good for my skin through trial and error. I use BE matte foundation. It's the best. Every time I try something new, I get zits.

When you tried BE, was it the matte version? The regular version is horrible if you have oily skin. The two products are totally different in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation Mattifying Oil Free is the best foundation I have ever found to battle my oil prone skin.

It goes on amazingly and stays in place all day. It is a bit pricey but so worth it. I have worn many many foundations during my life and this is one I go back to over and over and over again

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

On 9/27/2014 Abrowneyegirl said:
On 9/27/2014 lovestoteach said:

This will be an interesting thread. I have had 2 derm and 1 allergist warn me AGAINST Clinique. I have sensitive , and had acne prone skin (still oily). I use Bobbi Brown or Tarte Amaz. Clay make–up.

What do you think about the Tarte? My derm said to use oil-free and nothing with fancy, changeable liquid to powder. I am allergic to talc, which may be what irritates my skin with the Tarte.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~