Contributor

Retin A or Retinol - price difference question

Why do people buy expensive retinols (example Dr. Gross) when you can buy generic Retin A for about $15.00 a tube? Don't they do the same thing?

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: Retin A or Retinol - price difference question

Retin-A is much stronger than retinol. Some people believe they do the same thing, but others are of the opinion that due to the weakened state of the retinol and the chemical conversions is has to go through before it can be absorbed, that it's not all that helpful. Some people like the weaker form because they think the prescription product is too harsh. Some people like the idea of buying a name or system. Everybody's different and they do what they believe in and what they're comfortable with. I've never seen Retin-A for $15 a tube though, unless you're talking about the stuff that comes from foreign online pharmacies.

Frequent Contributor

I use retin a with an antibiotic for acne (it is a new product cream mix) and I just got it filled and had I not had insurance would have cost 700.00 so beware of a 15.00 retin a

Honored Contributor

I don't use Retin-A because my derm advised against it for MY skin. She said to stick with OTC if I want to incorporate retinol. I use Paula's Choice Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair retinol serum, which is moderately priced.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I am surprised that you can find Retin A for $15. Never have found it that cheap.

Respected Contributor

Years ago I had a retin A prescription filled at Giant pharmacy -- It was for a much lower dosage, thus the cheaper price.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Nm
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

On 9/12/2014 jlkz said: Years ago I had a retin A prescription filled at Giant pharmacy -- It was for a much lower dosage, thus the cheaper price.

Was this filled with insurance? I've never known it to be that cheap at any dosage. It might be possible with insurance, though that would be surprising, too, for Retin A.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

On 9/12/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Retin-A is much stronger than retinol. Some people believe they do the same thing, but others are of the opinion that due to the weakened state of the retinol and the chemical conversions is has to go through before it can be absorbed, that it's not all that helpful. Some people like the weaker form because they think the prescription product is too harsh. Some people like the idea of buying a name or system. Everybody's different and they do what they believe in and what they're comfortable with. I've never seen Retin-A for $15 a tube though, unless you're talking about the stuff that comes from foreign online pharmacies.

I absolutely purchased my generic Retin A from a prescription from my derm for $15. I have 2 more refills. I was surprised too, that it was so affordable!

Contributor

On 9/12/2014 jlkz said: Years ago I had a retin A prescription filled at Giant pharmacy -- It was for a much lower dosage, thus the cheaper price.

I'm not sure what Giant pharmacy means? I filled mine at Walgreen's. That's where I fill all my meds. I am using the 0.25 dosage. Next time I go to the derm I am going to ask her for the 0.5 dosage. But for now, this seems to be okay on my skin. I'm not peeling or anything.