Frequent Contributor
If you are in between shades, do you go lighter or darker?
Super Contributor

Lighter.

Respected Contributor
Never be afraid to blend to get the shade that matches your skin tone. If I am trying a new brand that I am unfamiliar with ( I am light to light-medium, to medium-depending on the brand) I will buy a lighter shade and a darker one. I have not had to do this too often, but it is ok to blend. Poodlepet
Valued Contributor

I think lighter also or even try and combine the two colors....but for me...if the specific brand does not work....I try and find one where I don't have to MIX....good luck

Frequent Contributor

lighter, I think wearing a darker than your skin foundation looks horrible.

Honored Contributor

I go lighter. I hate the darker when you can see a difference in color from my face to neck. If lighter is to light like the others suggested try mixing 2 shades.

Honored Contributor

If I'm truly between shades, I buy a different foundation that offers me a match. I have better luck with brands offering 10 or more shades than the brands who offer 3-5. Sometimes it means buying elsewhere, too. QVC sometimes carries a limited shade selection, like with Tarte cosmetics. With the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, Sephora and Ulta carry a shade that's a great match for me, but QVC doesn't carry it.

Trusted Contributor
Go lighter and try a little bronzer on your face and neck. Skip the bronzer, if you have trouble finding the perfect one. Bad bronzer sometimes looks worse than bad foundation.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

I'd blend or skip it all together and find another brand. I don't think it looks good to wear lighter foundation either. I don't want to look pale and washed out.

Respected Contributor

Are you purchasing a new foundation? If you can't find the right shade match choose another foundation. Either a different formula in the same brand or a different brand altogether.

I don't have the patience to be mixing foundations to get the right match. There are so many brands out there to choose from you really shouldn't have to.