Super Contributor

O/T...really O/T. I started a new job almost 4 months ago as a secretary in a very busy department of a large local hospital. I have been unemployed off and on for the last 2-3 yrs. due to the recession and living in the state with the worst unemployment rate so I am very thankful for this job.

I had my 3 month review and it was very good. I mentioned to my supervisor during the review that I would like to know if I was placed on the pay scale appropriately for my years of secretarial experience. She said she would look into it. She told me today she will have more information for me at the end of Sept. regarding my question because the hospital is reviewing all jobs and salaries in this (secretary) category.

Here is my question.....do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing that the hospital is reviewing this job category? I have never experienced anything like this at a previous job.
FYI....10 weeks ago a brand new CEO was hired and I am wondering if this has any connection?

Super Contributor
On 9/11/2014 TamiT28 said:

O/T...really O/T. I started a new job almost 4 months ago as a secretary in a very busy department of a large local hospital. I have been unemployed off and on for the last 2-3 yrs. due to the recession and living in the state with the worst unemployment rate so I am very thankful for this job.

I had my 3 month review and it was very good. I mentioned to my supervisor during the review that I would like to know if I was placed on the pay scale appropriately for my years of secretarial experience. She said she would look into it. She told me today she will have more information for me at the end of Sept. regarding my question because the hospital is reviewing all jobs and salaries in this (secretary) category.

Here is my question.....do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing that the hospital is reviewing this job category? I have never experienced anything like this at a previous job.
FYI....10 weeks ago a brand new CEO was hired and I am wondering if this has any connection?

Wouldn't you have asked this prior to accepting the position, as you were negotiating your salary?

Valued Contributor

I have worked at several larger companies that reviewed the salaries for different positions company wide. I don't think it is a bad thing. Like you said, you are lucky to have found a job, just go with the flow.

Good luck in your new job.

Esteemed Contributor
Years agoI went for a promotion to a sales position from an admin. Assistant. I was in the position for about a year and had my review which went well. Well, evidentally the company was doing a review of the inside sales position as you mentioned above. This company was known for very low raises 5 per cent the usual maximum, well could you imagine the surprise, shock and happiness when we were all given new titles and a nice five digit increase.
Honored Contributor

I'm not expert, but I don't think you should be worried. You brought your concern to your supervisor at an appropriate time - your three-month review - and she said she would work on it. And I think it has everything to do with a new CEO. That person probably wants to review everyone's job description. Smile

Super Contributor

Yes, about 6 yrs. ago I would have. There is no such thing as negotiating in this state because if you do not accept the job offer then there are 20 people in line right behind you willing to accept the job.

I did point out to my supervisor that now she has seen how happy the department is with my quality of work and the information that was on my resume was correct.

Valued Contributor

Other than a small family owned business which gave huge raises, most jobs, in my experience, give the usuall cost of living raises. Doesn't seem like much, but in this ecomomy I think jobs are still a little hard to come by.

Honored Contributor

I've had that happen a few times- once when the company got bought out and once just because the company reviews job positions/salaries every so often. One time it was to my benefit, the other time it didn't affect me one way or another. I wouldn't stress about it- I doubt your supervisor would have mentioned it if it meant a possible job loss (which I assume is what you are worried about?).

Super Contributor

I think this is normal for a large company, especially a hospital. I've worked in hospitals and this happened sometimes yearly. Maybe it is due to the new CEO, maybe not.

Your supervisor may be in the same situation you are. I would check with HR. They have to know what's going on.

Super Contributor

Yes, about 6 yrs. ago I would have. There is no such thing as negotiating in this state because if you do not accept the job offer then there are 20 people in line right behind you willing to accept the job.

I did point out to my supervisor that now she has seen how happy the department is with my quality of work and the information that was on my resume was correct.

I completely understand, and I think we've probably all "been there" at one point or another. Hope things work out for you!