Super Contributor

OT - Giving up Land Line/Going Wireless

OK, I know this has nothing to do with beauty, but you ladies are my "experts" on lots of subjects so here goes.

Hubby & I need a new laptop, since our 12 year old dinosaur desk top has Windows XP.

Long story short, we went to our local AT & T store today to discuss having a wireless connection in our house.

All I wanted was a DSL wireless router/modem. The salesman wanted me to get rid of my "land line" & rewire my house/security system etc. with Uverse.

He wanted to sell me a TV/Security System/Internet system. Which got us wondering if you need or want all of this.

I need to FAX for my home business (CPA) & I hate to rewire my security system.

I would appreciate all & any thoughts on this.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

Re: OT - Giving up Land Line/Going Wireless

If you are getting a new laptop and you are going to chuck the landline, I would go with better internet than DSL. You will then be able to have you phones immediately switch to Internet when you walk in the door and stop using data from your phone plan. If you are also doing business in the house, honestly I wouldn't be able to stand loading pages as slowly as DSL will be with all the things using internet service in your house. Esp. if you have any tablets, Nooks, Kindles, etc. plus, u-verse is totally better. Your old computer could not have maximized the internet speeds which are available today. Your new computer will. AT&T on Demand is not nearly as good as Comcast, BUT their DVR hard drives are 3x bigger so you never need to rely on On Demand, you can record everything. Don't let them sell you a security system you don't need. Just do a triple play of TV, Internet and cell. Don't let them sell you too much security but I guess though if you do this your security system will need to be upgraded a bit. You'll be glad of everything later.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

It's totally up to you - if you need a faster connection, Uverse is far better than DSL. I have AT&T DSL because Uverse isn't available down my road, but my internet speed is 5-6 mbps, my son's cable internet speed is 50 mbps, and he considers his slow. I have had Directv, which is the tv service that bundles with AT&T and it's excellent service IMO. We have had a repairman out 3 times in 9 years, most channels are HD. As for the security system, if you already have one you're happy with, you don't have to go with it, but it would at least be worth comparing.

Honored Contributor

I don't have ATT or Uverse but I think the guy just want to sell all this to you.

I wouldn't want to have all of my stuff with one company, my security system is with a small company.

No reason to dump your land line.

He probably thought he could easily sell you guys the biggest package. Take the time to think about it.

Honored Contributor

The best thing I ever did was to give up my land line. I don't miss it at all. And I receive minimal political or marketing calls now.

Call AT&T and see if they can hook you up with a router for wireless. I went through Century Link and they shipped the router to me. I had to call them for help getting it set up but it wasn't a big deal.

Honored Contributor

I'll keep my landline until they discontinue them all. I want the security. If you don't have a landline and the power goes out - no phone service!!! You could use your cell as long as it's charge doesn't run out. There may be some advantages and only you can decide what is best for you but the salesman wanted a bigger commission so of course he would suggest the most expensive way to go!

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 Pook said:

I'll keep my landline until they discontinue them all. I want the security. If you don't have a landline and the power goes out - no phone service!!! You could use your cell as long as it's charge doesn't run out. There may be some advantages and only you can decide what is best for you but the salesman wanted a bigger commission so of course he would suggest the most expensive way to go!

We have to have a landline for DH's heart monitoring defibrillator/pacemaker. I don't know how old you are but you might want to consider not getting rid of it for medical purposes.

Contributor

As for your security system, call your monitoring company and ask what it would cost to change/upgrade your system from land line monitoring to wireless. That way you can do a better cost comparison with what ATT is offering.

Honored Contributor

I will NEVER give up my landline. I was a HUGE fan of the Bell Telephone monopoly, and IMNHO, service was MUCH better 40 or 50 years ago, ie., before the divestiture. I hate being "sold" communication services and the nonsensical price wars and comparison shopping.
Respected Contributor

Cell phones can have problems too. I have received spam voicemails and texts. I have been text-stalked by a stranger. I eventually had to change my number.