Respected Contributor

OT: Question for ladies 60+ who still work

Hi girlz,

I'll keep it brief. I work part-time in a female-dominated field, so most of the people I work with are women, most of whom I can't stand. My supervisor is 27 yrs. younger than I am and treats me like a baby .. micromanaging & watching everything I do. She's got this whiny, "valley girl voice" that irritates me to no end (Kourtney Kardashian). Plus, she's condescending and manipulative. Whenever I make suggestions to her regarding work, she wants to argue. Yesterday, she became so hostile about one of my ideas, I just wanted to walk out and never go back. Would you look for another job? I'm thinking of just retiring and calling it quits. But THAT would end my shopping sprees. Oh noooo! {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

Re: OT: Question for ladies 60+ who still work

I'm not in your target demographic, here, but think this might depend on how many years you realistically plan to continue working. If it's just a couple of years, I would try to stick it out. But if it's more than that, I might try to find something else.

Super Contributor

No suggestion, sounds like what I went through before my knee went out permanently. Thank goodness, I was forced to go on disability. You have my deepest sympathy. I would rather sit on the corner with a can that to go back to that place.

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Kind1too said:

No suggestion, sounds like what I went through before my knee went out permanently. Thank goodness, I was forced to go on disability. You have my deepest sympathy. I would rather sit on the corner with a can that to go back to that place.

I'm at that point. I told a friend of mine last nite I wish I'd get hit by a truck so I could go on disability. That's how bad things are.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Frequent Contributor

Your supervisor sounds like an insecure control freak and empire builder, so why continue to make suggestions? If you can't walk, just try to tough it out until your time is up there. That's what I did. I walked in that day and quit on the spot, burning every bridge behind me. That was decades ago, and it ultimately became one of the best decisions in my life.

And when I quit that day, it was because I had already started my own business and am still happily self-employed. By the way, I'm now in your demographic.

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 spenditallbaby said:

Your supervisor sounds like an insecure control freak and empire builder, so why continue to make suggestions? If you can't walk, just try to tough it out until your time is up there.

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head! I KNOW what she is. She hates it when I come up with ideas. I've got two more years to go ... it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Respected Contributor

On 8/31/2014 spenditallbaby said:

, so why continue to make suggestions?

You're right. I need to stop. Everyone's told me to just keep my mouth shut and stay off the radar for two years. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Esteemed Contributor

I did call it quits at 60 (banking). They kept reshuffling the department and giving me new people to train. Once the trainees were "up and running" successfully, they were up and out and couldn't actually help me to do real work. Then it started all over again. Aggghhhh..

My coping mechanisms were watching QVC while getting ready for work and planning a cute outfit to buy or what make-up item I wanted as a reward. Also, I packed a lunch and took a walk during my lunch 45 minutes and avoided the lunch room and the gossip at all costs. I made an effort not to voice my complaints. I had a couple of real pals at work and that helped.

My blood pressure dropped significantly when I left. That stress was real. The problem with mature people is we know too much and we know what's wrong with the system. And the insecure people (often the boss) know that we know. I quit having brilliant ideas and just went with the flow till I flew out the door.

Super Contributor

Put up with her if you can. Last month I lost my job, a place where I'd worked for 33 years as an administrative assistant. (I stayed there way too long with no type of retirement plan, no severance pay). I'm 61 and the problem I have is the employers can halfway figure out my age due to being at the same job for 33 years. In fact, they might even think I'm in my 50's....and I'm sending out lots of resumes...and not one request for an interview. {#emotions_dlg.sad} My unemployment will run out after I turn 62 so I may be forced to take my social security then, instead of waiting until I would get my full benefits.

Super Contributor

On 8/31/2014 Indy-Blonde2 said:

Put up with her if you can. Last month I lost my job, a place where I'd worked for 33 years as an administrative assistant. (I stayed there way too long with no type of retirement plan, no severance pay). I'm 61 and the problem I have is the employers can halfway figure out my age due to being at the same job for 33 years. In fact, they might even think I'm in my 50's....and I'm sending out lots of resumes...and not one request for an interview. {#emotions_dlg.sad} My unemployment will run out after I turn 62 so I may be forced to take my social security then, instead of waiting until I would get my full benefits.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this. Hopefully things will turnaround soon.

I have a 63 year old co-worker who is dreadfully unhappy with her job and has been applying for other things the last few months. She is experiencing the same thing as you are, though - no interviews or call backs, even. She feels it is because potential employers can gauge her age based on her years of service with our current employer, and are not interested in taking on someone so close to retirement.