Super Contributor

Why do hairstylists hate Pantene products??!?

I went to Sally Beauty recently as my color-treated hair is craving moisture. I always use products for color-treated hair and one of the best conditioners I use is Pantene Color Protect Volumizing conditioner, it leaves my hair bouncy, tangle-free and silky-feeling.

The SA (whom, I hear, are all licensed cosmetologists b/c I applied for a job there years ago) immediately said to stop using Pantene products b/c they have plastic polymers in them and it coats your hair. Isn't that what conditioners are supposed to do? Coat your hair so it lies smoothly?

But every stylists I've ever gone to have said to stop using Pantene. Again....why??!?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why do hairstylists hate Pantene products??!?

When I used to get perms, my stylist told me to use anything but Pantene. She said it would take all the curl out/reverse the process/waste my perm $$. I didn't ask why, I just didn't use it, with the price of perms ;-(
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I currently use Wen products but do remember hairdressers always discouraging clients from using Pantene products. Although, I am not sure why. They certainly offer a large selection of different products and someone must buy them.

Honored Contributor

On doing some quick googling, it's because of a serious wax build-up the products cause - to the point where 2+ clarifying/stripping washes are needed to get it off the hair. Apparently it trashes/dulls scissors, coats combs that have to be washed/sterilized multiple times and the same with towels. That was from a cosmetology student.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

My stylist and I had this conversation last week. She says the same thing about it coating the hair and eventually making it dry and brittle. I have heard this from almost every hairdresser I have ever used.

Super Contributor

But yet it always get great review and magazines talk about how good it is.

Respected Contributor

I don't know about all the things people have mentioned here about Pantene, but I've never liked it anyway. Makes my hair very flat and flyaway. Hated the stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Pantene products. The last time I purchased sham/cond I got Clairol again (don't remember why) and my hair is not looking as good as it should. I heard this same thing years ago about Suave. I will probably go back to Pantene, anyway. I love the way it smells and how my hair responds (for whatever reason). Wink

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Prior to Wen, Pantene Curly was my staple. I still use the shampoo when I get build up. Even though my hair was healthy using Pantene, my stylist said to stop using it. I didn't.

Most hair products (natural ones included) coat our hair, glue our ends, etc. Cleansing our hair removes it so we can start again. Any good shampoo or cleansing conditioner will remove this. It doesn't have to be a clarifying one.

That's interesting to know about the scissors.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Kyle Richards claims to use it and has beautiful hair. Who knows if she really uses it.