Frequent Contributor

Wen makes my hair too "soft"-not good! Suggestions??

I purchased two sets of the travel packets to try Wen. I have the sweet almond mint and the pomegranate. I have been trying them out, but just can't get it right. I have thin, colored treated, 50 year old hair. About 50% gray. Thought the wen would be moisturizing for me. It sort of is for a day or so...but then it just gets stringy and "soft". The soft isn't good because it means that my hair won't stay styled and requires a ton of hair spray to keep my bangs from falling in my face. Does anyone out here understand the "soft" issue?? I've done the whole process and I've washed with regular shampoo but used wen as a leave-in. But no consistent wonderful results. Any suggestions? I also have an issue with scents, so I don't know that I can use any of the other scent formulas if they have a strong scent...gives me a headache. Would love your thoughts!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wen makes my hair too ""soft""-not good! Suggestions??

Hi skittles! Welcome to Wen!

When my hair gets soft, it needs protein. Could that be your issue? Have you done protein treatments prior to trying Wen? That's important for color treated hair.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like you need some 613. I am doing 613 tonight for just that reason. My hair started talking to me by my curls just letting down and going flat so quickly.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

My hair is always straight and soft and has been my entire life. So I can not use conditioning products. I don't need to because my hair is never dry or damaged. In fact, I have to use something that will make it a little less soft so I always use volumizing shampoo. The only other thing I use is a little dab of Nick Chavez's plump and thick in my hair and I follow with Nick's soft flocker then blow dry. Then my hair will hold a style for a little while but it tends to go straight and flat during the day especially in humidity or showers. Wen is not made for me. I have even tried the CHI and Calastia rollers and they make my hair too soft too.

Frequent Contributor

I have never done protein treatments. What type of product is that...another wen product?
Frequent Contributor

Kjelle, what kind of scent is the 613?
Respected Contributor

On 8/30/2014 skittles said: I have never done protein treatments. What type of product is that...another wen product?
The 613 is what we call WEN on steroids. It has the most amino acids (proteins). Seasonals have more than the core formulas, but 613 is over and above. When your hair is soft and won't hold a curl, it is because it is porous. Protein fills in the "spaces" so your hair will not let everything in and become limp and straight. The scent is lemon, rosemary and vanilla. To be honest, I can't smell the individual ingredients. I also have the occasional migraine and am scent sensitive. I would not stick my nose in the bottle, but I can use it on my hair. At first, I didn't use it as a leave-in. Then I got used to it and I am able to.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Regular Contributor

613 makes my hair full of body and I have fine, thin hair. It is a delightful smell of vanilla, citrus with rosemary.

Frequent Contributor

On 8/30/2014 Kimi-Eliz said:

613 makes my hair full of body and I have fine, thin hair. It is a delightful smell of vanilla, citrus with rosemary.

Is it really strong?? I can see that combo possibly bothering me unless it's not too strong and goes away after showering.
Honored Contributor

To my nose 613 smells wonderful, but doesn't hang around after I dry. I wish it would as it is my fave scent. Hope this is helpful.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras