Honored Contributor

New Wen girl looking to branch out with her CC

Can you Wen experts help me decide which CC to go with for the upcoming TSV?

I'm about done my first ever Wen purchase back in March where I got 613 and I chose Fig for the CC option with that kit. I'm not a fan of 613 particularly but I love Fig. I have thick coarse curly Italian hair (I actually use 10-15 pumps of the glossing serum each time to tame it with SC after a big handful of leave in) And I always let my hair air dry (no heat from anything ever) My hair is naturally wild and my curls need to be reigned in with everything and anything. I also color treat for some gray on my scalp.

I bought TT a few months ago since it is also recommended for my hair type but I really hate the smell plus I think it strips my color a little bit faster than the Fig does. Not impressed and that CC has sat.

I'm very tempted to try Lavender because I think it would smell wonderful but I'm not sure it's for my hair type and I will probably do auto delivery. I did the recommendation on CD's website and I got Pom and SAM. I tweaked my answers a bit and those two kept coming up in combo. Did not get Fig once which shocked me even though I said thick coarse hair every time. Did get Lav as a third option on the first run though.

Should I stick with Fig or do you think Lav would work on my hair type? Even in the last presentations I saw they kind of went back and forth on that formula and whether it really is for thin or thick hair. I would really appreciate any experience or recommendations you can give me.

Super Contributor

Re: New Wen girl looking to branch out with her CC

Why not try Pom? I love it and it works wonders on my hair. Not a fan of the Lavendar. I also love all the seasonals that I have tried so far. So, I guess I really like the soy-based formulas. I use the 613 only on my ends as I find it too much for the top of my head and weighs my hair down.

Trusted Contributor

I really like the Lavender products, they smell wonderful! But, the CC is very heavy on menthol, so keep that in mind.

By your description of your hair, I don't think that LAV would be a very good formula for you. It's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Fig, which is working really well for you. Most people who don't like LAV complain that it's too drying. I use it occasionally, but my hair is the complete opposite of yours, fine in texture and straight.

If I were you, and if you really want to try another formula, I would consider Sweet Almond Mint. It provides nice moisture (not as much as Fig) and the scent is incredible, very spa like. POM would also be another option, but I personally don't care for the scent or performance.

Whatever you decide, be aware that you can usually change your formula options for the second and/or third AD shipments. It's not an option online, but you can make the change by calling or emailing customer service in advance of the next shipments. I've done this with several past TSVs and have always received the formula that I've requested.

Honored Contributor

That's what I keep getting is Pom. The only reason I am shying away from the universal CCs is because not many people have my hair type. And what works for most people never works for me. I'm the 1% that needs the extra weight on my hair. I know when I saw the demo on the glossing serum, 3 was about the max they recommended. I literally do at least 10 pumps due to the length and texture of my hair and could probably do more. Soy base is interesting though. I never thought about that.

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 DoxieMomma said:

I really like the Lavender products, they smell wonderful! But, the CC is very heavy on menthol, so keep that in mind.

By your description of your hair, I don't think that LAV would be a very good formula for you. It's on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Fig, which is working really well for you. Most people who don't like LAV complain that it's too drying. I use it occasionally, but my hair is the complete opposite of yours, fine in texture and straight.

If I were you, and if you really want to try another formula, I would consider Sweet Almond Mint. It provides nice moisture (not as much as Fig) and the scent is incredible, very spa like. POM would also be another option, but I personally don't care for the scent or performance.

Whatever you decide, be aware that you can usually change your formula options for the second and/or third AD shipments. It's not an option online, but you can make the change by calling or emailing customer service in advance of the next shipments. I've done this with several past TSVs and have always received the formula that I've requested.

Awesome! I didn't know you could change formulas on auto. I remember with the gallons they said no to that.

That's what I thought about Lav but then I swear I've heard them say but it will work on thicker hair because it's more frothy than the others. Okay, crossing Lav off the list. So I'm down to Pom and/or SAM and I guess that's a scent preference.

Thank you guys so much for weighing in and helping me out. I appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

Is your hair normally oily, normal, or dry? If it needs a lot of moisture, as most wavy/curly hair tends to, I would stick to Fig or plan on mixing Fig with whatever else you get. I've tried most formulas (not lavender, because I'm allergic) and have found that Fig is the only one that gives me enough moisture for my waves and curls on its own. I use it alone or mix it with anything that doesn't work alone.

Keep that in mind of you get Lavender and it doesn't work for you - mix it with fig. You can either mix it in your hand or do a first cleanse with Lavender and a second with Fig. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you are not trying Lavender, it's on the "light moisture" end of the spectrum for me, which is normally about right, but I'm mildly allergic to lavender so I hardly ever use it. Love the scent, not the scalp issues the day after. For me, the perfect balance when I need moisture is the seasonal Fall Ginger Pumpkin, so if it turns out that the 32oz AD of seasonals offers that as a choice, you might want to try it, it's almost as moisturizing as Fig. Fall Apple Spice is another soy-based seasonal that's moisture-rich, it's actually too heavy for my fine hair, as Fig is. I like the many of the soy based cleansers, but not Pom, based on scent alone, I like TT and Fig better than Pom on the smell criteria. If you are getting good results with Fig, I'd advise staying with that for the TSV, and ordering one of the 16 ounce duos in SAM/POM, so you can try them to see if you like either of them better than Fig, then, if you do, you can switch your TSV AD for following shipments (if the Q lets you, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't).

Regular Contributor

I have curly thick hair and while lavender smells nice, it's very drying for me. It seems like you really want to try the lavender so I would order it and try it for a weeks or two and if you don't like it send it back for Pom or Fig.
Respected Contributor

I agree with those who are steering you away from lavender. It was much too drying for my curly locks. In addition to the good advice here, you might glance at the 'women of color' conversation here on the WEN boards. Many women with 'ethnic' hair have needs similar to yours -- moisture, control, and seeking soft curls. You will find kindred spirits in that conversation.

Respected Contributor

On 8/20/2014 FluffyBear said: I have curly thick hair and while lavender smells nice, it's very drying for me. It seems like you really want to try the lavender so I would order it and try it for a weeks or two and if you don't like it send it back for Pom or Fig.

I also agree that the lavender is very drying. I don't have curly thick hair but fairly straight, hair that tends to be on the dry side. I agree with fluffybear that you should try the pom. I also like the SAM and don't find it drying.