Super Contributor

Advise Needed - Retin-a vs. Retinol

I really need your help. I'm 39 and have used Retinol since my early 20s. I started using a .1% Retin-a gel about 6 weeks ago. I started out using it every other night and about a week after I started using it every night, I noticed a few broken capillariesSmiley Sad I've bever had broken capillaries. I think it was a combination of using the Retin-a and a microdermabrasion cream. I stopped using the Retin-a and am not going to use the microdermabrasion cream anymore. I'm trying to decide whether to try using a .05% Retin-a cream every other night or go back to Retin-a. I think the .1% Retin-a gel was too strong, so I was thinking a lesser strength used every other night might work. I'm just a little scared of getting broken capillaries. I know that Retin-a is highly recommended from Derms. What do you beauties think? Should I give the .05% cream a try it go back to using Retinol? TIA:-)

Respected Contributor

Re: Advise Needed - Retin-a vs. Retinol

What does your dermatologist want you to use? They have been to medical school. Retin-A is an Rx, so it demands some respect. I use retinol and like what I've been using.

Super Contributor

The .1% is very strong. Even .02% retin-a (less than 1/4 the strength of .1%) is much stronger than most over the counter retinols. Personally, I wouldn't use retin-a again without checking with a dermatologist first to determine the cause of your broken capillaries and how retin-a might impact your skin. If you have thin skin, retin-a, no matter the strength could make the problem worse.

Honored Contributor

Retin-A doesn't cause broken capillaries. If you had them starting, but couldn't see them yet, the microdermabrasion could have helped to make them more noticeable. If you're using a Clarisonic, that might do the same thing. Sun damage and aging are contributors as well. Dermatologists recommend Retin-A because it builds collagen, it does not thin the skin as some laypeople claim. Only you can decide what's best for yourself, but I vote for Retin-A.

Frequent Contributor

Retin-a is better than retinol I think,if you can handle it. It's important to take it slow and the microdermabrasion cream probably wasn't the best idea. I used retinA in my 20s & &30s and never had the broken caps.. What type of skin do you have? The gel would be for more oily skin and the cream for drier skin. Since you have the gel I would take a short break-keep skin care simple then try it again,even just a couple night per week. Definitely no micro. I wish I could still use it but since I have rosacea now,I can't. You should maybe ask the dermatologist too. Good luck!!
Super Contributor

Why not use both, just start slow and increase a bit at a time?

Currently, I use .05% Retin-A on my baby fine lines and let it set for a few minutes then 4-5 drops of PTR Retinol Fusion PM all over. Another few minutes later I use a nighttime moisturizer.

Good luck with your decision.

Super Contributor

On 8/19/2014 bosmama said: Retin-a is better than retinol I think,if you can handle it. It's important to take it slow and the microdermabrasion cream probably wasn't the best idea. I used retinA in my 20s & &30s and never had tT broken caps.. What type of skin do you have? The gel would be for more oily skin and the cream for drier skin. Since you have the gel I would take a short break-keep skin care simple then try it again,even just a couple night per week. Definitely no micro. I wish I could still use it but since I have rosacea now,I can't. You should maybe ask the dermatologist too. Good luck!!

I agree the microdermabrasion cream wasn't a good idea. The gel was actually more moisturizing than I thought it would be. My skin is on the dry side.

That's a good idea about only using it a couple of nights to start with. Thanks for the idea. If I do go back to using it, I'm going with a lesser strength too.

Super Contributor

On 8/19/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

Retin-A doesn't cause broken capillaries. If you had them starting, but couldn't see them yet, the microdermabrasion could have helped to make them more noticeable. If you're using a Clarisonic, that might do the same thing. Sun damage and aging are contributors as well. Dermatologists recommend Retin-A because it builds collagen, it does not thin the skin as some laypeople claim. Only you can decide what's best for yourself, but I vote for Retin-A.

I didn't think the Retin-a caused them but I do think it left my skin more sensitive than usual. The broken capillaries could have been from past damage. I don't really know. I noticed them the morning after I had used the microdermabrasion cream. I had used this same microdermabrasion cream without any issue for about a month and a half before starting the Retin-a, so you can see why I think it might all be related. I do have brown spots from Sun damage and I used to faithfully use my Clarisonic. I guess they could be from any of them. LOL. Thanks for your thoughts.

Super Contributor

On 8/19/2014 F1wild said:

Why not use both, just start slow and increase a bit at a time?

Currently, I use .05% Retin-A on my baby fine lines and let it set for a few minutes then 4-5 drops of PTR Retinol Fusion PM all over. Another few minutes later I use a nighttime moisturizer.

Good luck with your decision.

Good idea. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Hi Myshell, you know my thoughts. Use the retin-a but start by using it on top of your night cream. I haven't had the burning issues since doing that. It may take longer to work but it is gentler.