Esteemed Contributor

remember banana clips? I have a lot of hair and when I want to pull it back and get it up off my neck I have always used a banana clip. mine didn't damage my hair, didn't pull and didn't leave a weird dent in it when I take it down. I used the same clip every day for years but recently lost it. I looked in every B&M store in my area and couldn't find one ( what's up with that???) so I ordered a set of 3 from Amazon ( the type and length I wanted were actually hard to find online too). each one broke after using it only 6 or 8 times. so I'm looking online again today and paying more attention to the reviews. many of the reviews include comments about how they broke after just a few uses and how cheaply made they were.

so, banana clip users out there,where do you buy yours and what brands are good? I hate wasting money on cheaply made products that don't last, even if it's just a few dollars.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

Re: do you use a banana clip?

IKWYM! When one of my favorites breaks, I'm so sad. I keep an eye out for them in boutiques, when we travel (found a nothing-but hair clips-store in Lucca, Italy and went nuts!), and at hair salons. Also, upscale drugstores ("Pharmacies"), Sally Beauty, Beautyfirst, Ulta, often have clip displays as well as carts in the halls of malls. Found one from a cart in Scottsdale Fashion Square with gorgeous crystal-embellished clips of all sorts -- $$, but I couldn't resist at least one! I sort of collect them, even though some are prettier than functional, I keep them.

Lola
Trusted Contributor

I found some really pretty ones at Nordstrom Rack.

ETA: Actually, I think what I bought are called butterfly clips. Not sure. Maybe they would work for you. The NR near me usually has a pretty good selection of hair accessories.

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/17/2014 vaccinia said:

I found some really pretty ones at Nordstrom Rack.

ETA: Actually, I think what I bought are called butterfly clips. Not sure. Maybe they would work for you. The NR near me usually has a pretty good selection of hair accessories.

vaccinia, I would have never thought to look on the Nordstrom website. I found some beautiful hair clips made by France Luxe, but pretty pricey. I googled the company, though and then found some on eBay. thanks for that suggestion.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Trusted Contributor

So glad you found something you like!

Honored Contributor

I have a couple that are pretty old. I don't doubt they would be hard to replace. I wanted a new pik, boy was that hard to find. How about some place like Sally's beauty supply.
Respected Contributor

I'm still using mine from Sally's that I bought years ago.
Super Contributor

I had to Google to find out what these are, lol! I've never used one, but those I saw online seemed quite flimsy and were mostly modeled by women who seemed to have straight, fine hair. Do they actually hold thick, coarse hair, too? Are there different clips sold based on hair thickness?

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/17/2014 graycatsrule said: I have a couple that are pretty old. I don't doubt they would be hard to replace. I wanted a new pik, boy was that hard to find. How about some place like Sally's beauty supply.

I looked on the Sally's website and they don't have what I need.

Honored Contributor

I haven't seen banana clips in years. I wore them back when I was in high school. I think clip styles have moved on.