Respected Contributor

O/T What to get someone from England from the States?

My son has a friend coming over from England to visit and I will be meeting her. I just wondered if there was anything here that they don't have over there that she might like. I know this is pretty general, but thought you ladies, guys might have some ideas.

She has 3 children, pre teen to teen, and is a teacher. It can't be anything large, but it can be anything, literally. From school supplies, folders with certain bands or characters to beauty or non perishable foods to anything. A football jersey - I don't know, so I'm just putting it out there!

Thanks for any suggestions - I know some of you are from England, so would appreciate any suggestions. Am putting this over on the Food forum also.

THANK YOU!

Trusted Contributor

Re: O/T What to get someone from England from the States?

My husband travels a lot overseas for business and one of the friends he met in England wanted nothing but a Cubs jersey to give to his daughter because she had been begging her father for one. She sent us a picture of her in it and she looked very happy - I think she was about 12. I realize not all kids are into sports but this one was easy, she knew exactly what she wanted.

Super Contributor

If it were a friend of one of my son's, I would ask him what her interests are. He might give you a good suggestion, and you can take it from there.

Respected Contributor

Lannie

Why do you have 2 of these going at the same time?

Super Contributor

My former fiancé was from London and when he visited with his twin 7 year old boys they were fascinated with shopping at Walmart. They were blown away about how you can buy everything from shoes to steak all in one place. Maybe take her there and let her find some things she likes.
Super Contributor

On 7/27/2014 LadyBug77 said: My former fiancé was from London and when he visited with his twin 7 year old boys they were fascinated with shopping at Walmart. They were blown away about how you can buy everything from shoes to steak all in one place. Maybe take her there and let her find some things she likes.

??? There are tons of places in England where you can buy shoes and steak (and lots more). Pretty much any large supermarket, just like Walmart. Asda, for example (who are owned by Walmart). Sainsbury's. I just can't imagine someone from London never having been to a large supermarket.

Contributor

How about this Willow figurine holding an American Flag http://www.amazon.com/Willow-Tree-26152-Hero-Figurine/dp/B000NR94D4 Or maybe a Peterboro basket (they are made in the USA) or a pie plate with a recipe for apple pie.....oh, what about a baseball shirt (Cooperstown?!)
Contributor

Yikes, don't know how to post the web address for the willow figurine, hopefully you can cut and paste it, or someone who is savvy can put it here for me!! Ugh! Sorry about that.
Valued Contributor

Take her out to Mexican food! They don't have that there.
Honored Contributor

Don't give her a gift card! Lol. Actually, don't look for a USA connection. Just buy her nice gift that she'll enjoy and one that will remind her of YOU. England isn't as "foreign" as you seem to think. Whatever we have over here, they have over there. It's a small world now.