Regular Contributor

Is Chaz's Tea Tree Oil treatment better than making your own?

I am on the fence about purchasing the tea tree oil treatment from Wen. I have read so much about being able to make your own for a fraction of the cost that it is hard for me to pull the trigger. I am not trying be cheap (bought two BGT gallons in June and just ordered the SHP RTM, CC and styling creme/mousse set) but if it is basically tea tree oil mixed with carrier oils...any constructive advice?

Valued Contributor

Re: Is Chaz's Tea Tree Oil treatment better than making your own?

My guess will be yes, because of the high quality ingredients he uses. For what it will cost to try to replicate it, you are better off buying the real thing. Organic, high quality oils are expensive.
Formally NewtoWen
Honored Contributor

I don't use Wen since I have to wash my hair at least every other day & it would be to expensive to do that with Wen. If I were you I would get a small bottle to experiment with to see how you like it before I added tea tree oil to the whole gallon of shampoo. I have read online about how much tea tree oil to add to a bottle of shampoo so you could find that to see how much to add to the smaller bottle.

Regular Contributor

On 7/22/2014 Nightowlz said:

I don't use Wen since I have to wash my hair at least every other day & it would be to expensive to do that with Wen. If I were you I would get a small bottle to experiment with to see how you like it before I added tea tree oil to the whole gallon of shampoo. I have read online about how much tea tree oil to add to a bottle of shampoo so you could find that to see how much to add to the smaller bottle.

I hadn't really thought of adding it to the shampoo...but that's an idea. I was thinking of adding pure tea tree oil to organic virgin coconut oil and applying to the scalp and hair as a mask. Thanks for the reply!

Esteemed Contributor

Mandy, when I was waiting for my TT Oil to arrive, I tried making my own. The last time I posted my ingredients, I couldn't post.

Mine was greasy and messy to use. I have none of those problems with Wen. I didn't notice any growth with my concoction. With Wen, I see growth!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

On 7/22/2014 Newtowen said: My guess will be yes, because of the high quality ingredients he uses. For what it will cost to try to replicate it, you are better off buying the real thing. Organic, high quality oils are expensive.

I guess I was only thinking of purchasing pure tea tree oil and adding it to a carrier oil (that I have already). I have not priced reproducing it with exact ingredients so you may be right there! Thanks for responding!

Regular Contributor

On 7/22/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Mandy, when I was waiting for my TT Oil to arrive, I tried making my own. The last time I posted my ingredients, I couldn't post.

Mine was greasy and messy to use. I have none of those problems with Wen. I didn't notice any growth with my concoction. With Wen, I see growth!

Thank you! I was hoping someone who had tried it before would respond! I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet more than likely {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor

Cold-pressed, organic golden jojoba oil plus tea tree essential oil is no where near as expensive as Chaz's oil. His first variety of tea tree oil did not have all the essential oils as his newest incarnation of treatment oil, so I cannot speak to that version, as I do not know how easy it would be to replicate given the inclusion of so many treatment based ingredients.

If you are talking about making something similar to the first variety of hair oil he offered, then you can do it at a fraction of the price using top quality ingredients.

Respected Contributor

His older formula TT oil was just organic jojoba oil and TT essential oil. The price increased on organic jojoba oil (which is why the new oils were formulated and more expensive). I don't know how using coconut oil as a carrier would work, but I can't see any reason why jojoba and TT wouldn't give you the exact same results as his older formula oil assuming you come up with the appropriate concentration of TT. A few posters have given some information about this in the past...

I am going to make my own TT oil and LAV oil when I need more of those because I like the consistency and performance of the older oils I have (SAM, LAV, and FIG) better than the newer treatment oils. That's just my personal preference Smile

Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 Mandy Moo said:
On 7/22/2014 Nightowlz said:

Smile

I hadn't really thought of adding it to the shampoo...but that's an idea. I was thinking of adding pure tea tree oil to organic virgin coconut oil and applying to the scalp and hair as a mask. Thanks for the reply!

Oops sorry. I thought you were talking about adding it to the shampoo. At least it's worth a try to see how it works. Applying as a hair mask might work just as well. Just be careful how much tea tree oil you use. I use it straight all the time for cuts, scrapes etc. I know it can be drying.