Honored Contributor

I have come to the conclusion that I use far too many skin care products. I mean is it really necessary? I have serums, eye cream, neck cream, night cream, day cream, morning cleanser, nighttime cleanser, hand cream, retinol, etc. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} Do you all feel this is too much? Is it better to stick with a few basic products than to have a whole arsenal?? Would it not be nice to cut back lol. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Regular Contributor

Yes! I totally agree. I am in the process of trying to cut down on the products and steps. I use an oil cleanser to remove makeup in the PM and then another cleanser to be sure my face is clean of everything {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} in the PM, a toner AM and PM, a BHA treatment AM and PM, Benzoyl Peroxide in the AM if needed, a moisturizer AM then a SPF or moisturizer with SPF included in the AM, moisturizer in the PM mixed with light argan oil, tretinoin in the PM and an eye cream, AM and PM. I also have a serum I am using AM and PM and another moisturizer I am using on my neck and decollete. Sheesh! As soon as I use up some of this stuff I am moving to the two cleansers, toner and BHA, BP as needed and a moisturizer at night (no SPF and one in the AM that has an SPF) with the argan over my tretinoin. No more multiple moisturizers for different body areas, no more eye creams, no more serums. Done.

Frequent Contributor

I think each of us has to decide for ourselves whether a minimal routine is best. I use many different products and get good results. Now maybe I would get the same (or better!) results with only a couple items, but I'm happy with what I am doing.

Once in a while I'll do something like a Philosophy brightening peel pad at night, followed only by a touch of one serum. Or if I'm in a hurry on a weekend morning, I may just wash my face and put on SPF, but those examples definitely are my exception rather than my rule! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Trusted Contributor

I cut way down almost 1 1/2 years ago.

1 vitamin c serum, 1 retinol night cream, ponds cold cream cleanser, and an exfoliating face wash.

That's pretty much it. I do a face mask once a week...not sure it does too much for me, but I enjoy the whole process.

Since stripping way down, I'm saving time and money and my face is clearer, smoother, and more vibrant.

Honored Contributor

For years, I have used only cleanser at night and cleanser and moisturizing sunscreen under my primer and foundation during the day. My skin is combination, and I don't need much moisturizer. Once in a while in the middle of winter if my skin feels tight, I might put some on before bedtime (Paula's Choice), but that's rare. Because I have rosacea (mild) my dermatologist does not want me to use any kind of toner, and she believes all of the other products are unnecessary. I do have eye cream, and use it once in a while at night when I think about it. I use Laura Geller's undereye Spackle for day, after I wash my face and put sunscreen on.

My mother and my grandmother both had beautiful skin. I guess I was lucky to inherit some of that! My grandmother washed hers with Ivory. My mom used Noxema when she was young and Oil of Olay - the original, to WASH her face (!) when she was older. That's it.

It works for me. I'd never have the time and patience to use much of anything else! Smile

Respected Contributor

I cut back too. Only cleanse and apply products once a day. Use cleanser, toner, copper/Vit c serums mix, 2 eye serums, facial oil, and a mask/scrub once a week.

Super Contributor

I'm tired of using so many products when I think most of them are unnecessary. There are some I must have. My CeraVe moisturizing cleanser, my Alpha Hydrox and my SPF moisturizer along with my BB or CC cream. Some days I don't use the SPF moisturizer, depend on which BB cream I use. I use a exfoliating scrub every few days.

I have tons of products and more on my list, but for the summer the above is basically what I have been using. Winter is another story.

Esteemed Contributor

I use only JM Argan oil and it is a pleasure to only have 1 perfect product for EVERYTHING

Honored Contributor

Oops also on my list: mask, vitamin c, dermapeel, skin brightner, lol.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor
On 7/22/2014 CherryHugs said:

I have serums, eye cream, neck cream, night cream, day cream, morning cleanser, nighttime cleanser, hand cream, retinol, etc. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I think you only need one moisturizer for your face, eyes and neck. I also think you only need one cleanser.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau