Honored Contributor

Need root lifter that makes hair feel coarse

I'm so upset. Nioxin changed my favorite thickening spray/root lifter and it doesn't work for me anymore. I have baby fine, thin hair and this product was a miracle for me. I'm sick that they changed it.

I want my hair to feel coarse, not soft. Nioxin used to do that.

So what can I use now? Help!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Need root lifter that makes hair feel coarse

I use a sea salt spray for just that reason. I don't use it through the length of my hair per the instructions; instead, I just use it on my roots to give them some texture and grip. (My hair is too soft and floppy when freshly washed.)

got2be Beach Trippin' Salt-infusion Waving Spray is the one I am currently using. It works well for my purpose, and it doesn't smell like artificial coconuts (which many of these sprays do).

Honored Contributor

Not Your Mothers Plump for Joy Thickening Hair Lifter.

Super Contributor

I was watching the Alterna presentation last night, then looked through the products the Q offers. They have a root lifter -- check it out. I think there are some reviews.

It seems that manufacturers ALWAYS reformulate. I can understand if the product isn't selling well, but I've seen complaints about very popular items. It's a shame. I think they always just make it cheaper to manufacture -- more profit for them, but I'm pretty jaded.

If you find one you like, please come back and let us know, and good luck!

PS -- Check out Nutri-Ox. It's available at Sally's and it's a generic Nioxin. Maybe they have a similar product to the pre-reformulated Nioxin. Again, good luck!

Valued Contributor

I learned of the got2b Powder'ful Voluminizing Styling Powder from this board and it really gives roots a thick, almost sticky feel -- but it stays put when you're done.

Got2b Powder'ful Volumizing Styling Powder, 0.35 Ounce

Contributor

I agree with Sly Violet, got2be Beach Trippin' Salt-infusion Waving Spray is really good stuff!! I use it throughout my hair & it makes my curls curl very well & that makes me happy!!

It's about $3 a bottle on the mainland, of course it costs more here in Hawaii. It's worth it though.

Super Contributor

Are you sure you actually want it to feel coarse (meaning rough and grainy in texture), or do you mean that you want it to feel thicker with more body? LOL - I have coarse hair, and I wouldn't wish it on anybody!

Super Contributor

Sorry about your favorite hair product!

I agree that hair powder is the way to go, and the cheap ones work as well as the pricey ones. 'Not Your Mother's' for about 5 bucks, or the Ulta brand is what I buy. I too have flat, baby fine hair! It's the pits.

Just sprinkle on & rough it up w/ your fingers or even a wide toothed comb.

Valued Contributor

Tigi Your Highness Root Boost.

I have tried many and also can't use anything that makes my hair too soft.

This stuff works!!

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4750171

Respected Contributor

The hair powders DEFINITELY add texture to your hair. And volume!! Not expensive, either. The drugstore brands are still really good