Respected Contributor

A question for grey haired ladies that transitioned from coloring to natural.

Those of you with all white/grey hair that colored all the time but decided to let your natural grey grow out is there a way to make it look more natural? Also can salons actually dye your hair white/grey so your old dyed color will match with the silver growing in? I am just curious if there is a trick to it. I am sure otherwise the white roots is a huge contrast to your colored part of your hair and people may "stare" i am just courious especially if you have long long hair

I am not super silver yet but I noticed this time with my roots growing out that I have a lot of grey hairs coming in to where it was noticeable (at least to me) if I was to give a guess to it I would say 10% of my roots are coming in grey. I wonder if now would be a good time to stop coloring my hair.

Super Contributor

Re: A question for grey haired ladies that transitioned from coloring to natural.

My girlfriends stylist did hightlights on her hair as it grew out. It grew out gracefully.

Super Contributor

Re: A question for grey haired ladies that transitioned from coloring to natural.

I do not think you are ready to go natural at only 10% grey unless you are very blond. I was 100% white and had been coloring for years....very hard to color white hair ash brown with the constant grow out. What I did was cut my long hair off short...and then it took about three more haircuts to cut off the last of the color. A colorist can blend in colors to make the transition to white easier.... I chose to just live with the contrast as it grew out. It actually looked very cool! Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

thats good to know for when the time comes. I have very long hair

Contributor

I also worked with my stylist, she highlighted my short layered cut a couple of times over the year it took for it to completely grow out. Funny thing, I had colored my hair for so long that I forgot what my real hair color was! I thought it was the dark, rich warm brown with copper highlights that I got so many compliment on...wrong! My hair is actually blue/black, who knew! I still have a lot black on the back of my head which is a nice contrast with the white. I'm glad I did it, absolutely love it! Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

I have seen color charts in salons with gray on there. I was dyed red when I decided to let my natural color take over. I probably couldn't have done it, if I had not been staying home caring for my momat the time. I wasn't out much, so I didn't care what it looked like. I let the roots grow quite awhile, then cut my hair really short, it didn't take long for my process. I am glad i did it now. Every so often I will dream that I colored my hair again & was sick about it,lol...

Honored Contributor

My younger sister had dyed her hair since early 20's. Last year she had breast cancer and chemo. When her hair grew back in it was absolutely snow white, even whiter than mine. She used to tease me about my white hair, now she's very quiet about it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I played around with hair color since late teens. I guess you could call it my hobby. I basically had every color in the book. After marriage and four kids my hair started to be color resistant. I did not know why. I went to a salon that dyed my hair telling me the problem was my hair was turning gray and I would soon look old if I did not keep it up. What was once economical became expensive. And one day I came down with vertigo not related to my hair color situation. I could no longer go back into a sink. It was a benign inner ear condition which still comes and goes. My color resistant hair was silver white after a short period of time not being able to color it. Bottom line.... I am loving it. My hair is solid color and people refer to me AS THE BLOND when they describe me.

In my case this color is the best I ever owned. I think it is a personal thing. I would never go back.

Super Contributor

I went over to the natural side about six months ago. To transition my hairdresser did lowlights on my roots and trimmed my shoulder length hair about four inches. This was continued in two months. Now my hair is mostly silver. I go back next week and will have a few blonde highlights put around my face to even out it all. After that hopefully I will be color free. My hairdresser thinks my hair will be a good color and healthier......
Honored Contributor

I am still salt & pepper but I stopped coloring 5 years ago. I had my hair cut in short layers and most of my gray was on top and it grew in quickly. Not bragging but I get compliments on the color of my hair from hair stylists. They have actually told me never color my hair. My hair is healthy and not dried out and I still wear it short because it is easy care. Get it cut every 12 weeks. I am not aware of any gray coloring because I remember asking that same question 5 years ago but maybe they now have something but I do not know.

kindness is strength