Regular Contributor

My Hairline Has Reseeded Above the Temple into the Head

I tried Viviscal but it upset my stomach. I'm now using the Hairmax but I doubt it is going to give me a lot of hair where it is now gone. I saw Dr. after Dr. and none had an answer. Hair transplantation is actually the only thing that can put hair back in permanently is what I have heard from Dr.'s. I even went to see Dr. other then Derms and they were experts in hairloss. I had some laser treatments but they took a ton of time and travel and money! You would have to do this for the rest of your life. Just like using Rogaine, which put hair on my face! since it goes into your system, so I dumped that. Besides, I don't want to use it my entire life. I think I'm going to go for the hair replacement surgery. I hide it right now with my bangs. No one can tell I have hair loss. But I don't want it getting worse as I age and then be too old to fix it. I know it's there and every time I shower more comes out. It's so depressing and I get so stressed every time I look at my hairline in the mirror. Anyone else feel like this?

{#emotions_dlg.sad} Yes, I have had medical tests done. I was told I have genetic alopecia. I also have a thyroid problem. My brother is bald and my dad who was very handsome had a reseeded hairline but had hair and was a man. His hair was like David Jansen's was in the front. Not bad at all. So I guess that is where I got it. Wish I was a guy, it be acceptable.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Hairline Has Reseeded Above the Temple into the Head

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I have thinning too.Women with hair loss and receding hairline issues have been in the closet for so long. Finally we are finding a community and can discuss it with others. I am using vivisacal and so far no issues. I am using Rogain too. I wish I had not started that...don't like the ""forever or lose it"" thing. I use greAt hair day and it hides my scalp very well.But I feel so uncomfortable when going to swim. I honestly do feel my hair loss makes me a anxious....not depressed ...yet. it's just so hard when hair is such a huge part of beauty. I hope you find good results with whatever path you choose and keep us posted.

Esteemed Contributor

Hair loss is devastating. Did you use the Rogaine for Women? That doesn't give me facial hair.

I don't mind using it every day, twice a day forever. I am seeing results from it. I incorporate it into my day and I would rather do that than have so much forehead showing.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Ok I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but in have a boxer dog with hypothyroid. His hair started thinning but that was not super noticeable at first. What made us have him tested was a severe bout of pancreatitis, which in dogs can be caused by hypothyroid. When I took him in the vet noticed also that his hair looked thin and tested him. He is white with big freckles on his pink skin so it really is noticeable when his fur is thin. He started him on levothyroxine at a higher dose because his levels were so low. Immediately he started growing a lot of fur that wasn't even close to the texture he had before. It was soft like rabbit fur and it was kind of strange, but there was tons of it. He was on this dose for several months as during the time our vet was I'll with pancreatic cancer passed away. It took a while to get a new one in and adjusted to the practice. Because my dog could not put on weight and was so thin and still having digestive issues I took him in again and he cut his dose way down. He began to put on some weight, but he also began losing his fur again after a couple of months. So I upped his dose a half pill and now his fur is back to normal. So I guess what I am saying is, his thyroid levels really affected his hair growth and maybe some if that is what you are experiencing. His dosages were not so different .4 up or down, but made a big difference. Just a half dose made him level again and so far paws crossed, all is good.
Regular Contributor

I completely understand. I am losing my hair and it is driving me nuts! I have changed hair styles to cover it up but I know it is there and I am scared to death about how bad it will be when I am older. One thing that is frustrating is no one else in my family has any issues. My dad is balding but he still has a good but of hair (male pattern baldness) but all the women in my family have thick, full heads of hair. I have thyroid issues and my doctor upped my thyroid meds recently so hopefully that will help, though I am considering Rogaine for Women. It won't kill me to use another product I guess! If hair replacement is an option then I would look into it. Go for it if you are comfortable with the process! God bless you, it is difficult to deal with.

Regular Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Danky said: Very interesting.....is it reseeding , receading or R-E-C-E-D-I-N-G ?

I knew what she meant...I think we all did.

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Mandy Moo said:

I completely understand. I am losing my hair and it is driving me nuts! I have changed hair styles to cover it up but I know it is there and I am scared to death about how bad it will be when I am older. One thing that is frustrating is no one else in my family has any issues. My dad is balding but he still has a good but of hair (male pattern baldness) but all the women in my family have thick, full heads of hair. I have thyroid issues and my doctor upped my thyroid meds recently so hopefully that will help, though I am considering Rogaine for Women. It won't kill me to use another product I guess! If hair replacement is an option then I would look into it. Go for it if you are comfortable with the process! God bless you, it is difficult to deal with.

Mandy, if you use Rogaine for Women, start off knowing that it is a lifetime commitment: every day, twice a day. It will give you results, though. I am very happy with it.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

On 7/21/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Mandy, if you use Rogaine for Women, start off knowing that it is a lifetime commitment: every day, twice a day. It will give you results, though. I am very happy with it.

I keep going back and forth about it. I am thinking of trying Wen TT oil mixed with my coconut oil as a scalp treatment. I keep reading that the TT may help and I know coconut oil is good for your scalp so maybe a combo will be good. I think I will try it and if that does not work then I'm going for broke with the Rogaine. Thank you for the advice!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Danky said:
On 7/21/2014 Danky said: Very interesting.....is it reseeding , receading or R-E-C-E-D-I-N-G ?

I knew what she meant...I think we all did.

I didn't.....I thought she had planted something on her head...for a second time. Oh well !

Yeah, I'm sure you thought that. Because everybody has stuff planted on their head, right?

We get it.

Super Contributor

I'm eyeing the HairMax because I'm at my wit's end, too. (Although you've done a lot more and researched more than I.)

I think the KEY to the HairMax is commitment and consistency. I keep seeing that over and over in the reviews. It must be discouraging not to see any difference in eight weeks, but those who are singing its praises stuck with it. I will keep that in mind if I try this and want to throw in the towel after a couple of months.

A shampoo and conditioner I heard about on this board is Nutri-Ox. There are products for different levels of condition. Good reviews on Sally's, MakeupAlley, other places.

I keep forgetting to get some, though.

I don't want to use Rograine for a couple of reasons, so my first step will be the HairMax and Nutri-Ox.

I really think, though, the best and most permanent way is to get the transplants. If you've got the funds and are willing to go through it, I wish you the best of luck. And I'm envious. :-)