Occasional Contributor

just now 49 but want to really start to get serious about getting ready for the big 50. skin is not bad. I've been pretty good to it. just starting to show a few wrinkles and one or two age spots. what suggestions do you have? I want to do everything I can short of surgery (and may go that route) to look the very best I can at 50. currently I have one of the micro current machines and have started using it pretty devoutly. I've ordered an 8% TCA peel from make up artists choice. I exfoliate regularly, use sunscreen daily, retin-a every other night.

I would love to hear your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like you are focusing just on your face .... so, DON'T do that. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I think one of the best things a woman can do as she ages is to STAY LIMBER ..... your walk will be more youthful and you'll have less aches and pains. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Well, that's my two cents ... Cool

Honored Contributor

For me, turning 50 wasn't at all about the way I look on the outside, but the way I feel on the inside. I never gave a thought to my skin, or my weight, or any other physical features, but I looked deep at my inner self, and realized I'm totally content and happy with myself, no matter what my age.

Respected Contributor

I loved my 50th birthday! Hard to believe that was two years ago already. Similar to what others are saying, I used it as an opportunity to think about how I wanted to live going forward. I 'interviewed' my favorite women who were 55 and older and asked about their philosophies toward their work, their families, planning for retirement, what brings them the greatest joy and how they cope with disappointment. I learned so much from just listening.

But to your question about outer beauty (which doesn't cease to be important at 50) my passion became simplicity. I threw out all of those products that I never used and found good gentle skin care and make up (Josie Maran mostly) that enhance with very little fan fair. I like a simple look and was able to stop spending money on make up for a lifestyle I am no longer interested in.

Enjoy your process!

Occasional Contributor

both excellent comments. thank you. exercise is very important to me as is healthy eating. I do think youthfulness is both inside and out. I also journal and pray daily. I think that is the reason I look as good as I do (IMHO). I just want to make sure I am doing all I can.

Occasional Contributor

thank u islandgirl

Respected Contributor

Perhaps you should read in today's NYT, the article by Arthur C. Brooks, in the OP-ED, Sunday Review section. Just a thought.....................

Super Contributor

Good Lifestyle choices is much more important than anything you apply or do topically to your face. Aerobic exercise at least 45 minutes a day in one stretch, yes- stretching and keeping limber is SO IMPORTANT..... great diet, low in sugar, carbs, processed foods.... sun screen, and sun coverage when outside. Most of the things people do not do consistently.... they would rather pop a pill or apply an anti aging gimnick cream.

Respected Contributor
On 7/20/2014 gazelle77 said:

Good Lifestyle choices is much more important than anything you apply or do topically to your face. Aerobic exercise at least 45 minutes a day in one stretch, yes- stretching and keeping limber is SO IMPORTANT..... great diet, low in sugar, carbs, processed foods.... sun screen, and sun coverage when outside. Most of the things people do not do consistently.... they would rather pop a pill or apply an anti aging gimnick cream.

All have great advice. Your 50's will be the best years of your life.

Super Contributor
On 7/20/2014 granddi said:
On 7/20/2014 gazelle77 said:

Good Lifestyle choices is much more important than anything you apply or do topically to your face. Aerobic exercise at least 45 minutes a day in one stretch, yes- stretching and keeping limber is SO IMPORTANT..... great diet, low in sugar, carbs, processed foods.... sun screen, and sun coverage when outside. Most of the things people <em>do not</em> do consistently.... they would rather pop a pill or apply an anti aging gimnick cream.

All have great advice. Your 50's will be the best years of your life.

40s thru 50s are wonderful years in a woman's life! Enjoy them! There are challenges as we age.... not all wonderful, but, with the right attitude and working hard to keep your body strong, you will come out on top.