Super Contributor

AWKWARD......................

Some of you might remember a thread I started after my stylist gave me a body perm and basically FRIED my hair, which had been previously colored. I was given advice to use a protein treatment. I bought the Joico K-Pak which was recommended.

This same person also does my nails. This is a one-person salon and we've gotten close. friends of a sort.

Today I went to a new salon to a stylist recommended by someone whose hair always looks great. You know people who shake their head and every hair falls immediately back into place?

First of all, this is a salon/spa atmosphere. One of the things I hated about my friend's shop was that it was never kept very clean. She once dropped a comb and picked it up and kept using it while cutting my hair. {#emotions_dlg.crying} I've had to ask her to spray the alcohol on her cuticle tools before using them on me.

Good news! At the new salon, the service was fabulous. The stylist listened to me, checked my hair and gave her ideas for how to balance things based on the shape of my face. (Turns out my hair was shorter on one side than the other.) She asked what tools I use to style it and gave me a FANTABULOUS!!! haircut and style. Kiss It's everything I asked my prior hairdresser to do and she didn't.

I mean, everything is telling me to just switch and get my future cuts and colors with this new stylist.

AWKWARD: How do you break up with a friend? I can't say your shop is dirty. I can't say a new stylist listened to everything I asked for and gave it to me; you would just use a curling iron and then tease my hair so I looked like my 90 yo mother. She did a great cut and blow dry and I look 10 years younger.

I'd like to keep getting my nails done by the original hairdresser because she is $5 cheaper.

AWKWARD!!!!!!

How would you handle this?

Super Contributor

Re: AWKWARD......................

I don't think you can keep going to the original for your nails (and why would you want to if she doesn't clean her tools?!) and go to someone else for your hair. Just pay the extra five dollars and go to a better place for both. Manicure tools should be cleaned/disinfected between clients or they can transmit infectious disease…gross.

Frequent Contributor

hmmm -- since she is your friend, that makes it hard, but I think I'd just tell her you wanted to break out of your current rut and try something/someone new. I also think I'd use the new place for your mani's even tho it is more expensive -- saves you time and gas driving to and fro to the other place, plus you said it was cleaner. Nail infections are not fun.....

Honored Contributor

Why do you think you need to announce your changing your mind about who does your hair? Just stop going to that person and book appointments with the new person. I suspect you think there might be a "confrontation" of sorts, or you'll need to explain yourself.

You really don't need to say anything ..... you just needed a change, and like the new person. End of story.

Respected Contributor

How close of friends are you? Do you do things together? Will she call you if she hasn't seen you in awhile and ask when you're coming in?

Super Contributor

I agree with peace6576. You shouldn't have to ask the stylist to disinfect her tools. Heck, I disinfectant tools I use on my dog for grooming. Saving five dollars to get my nails done just would not be worth the other sacrifices. I also don't think you have to explain anything to your former stylist. Just stop going. When she sees you, and she sees how much better you look, she'll understand. She had plenty of opportunities to get your hair the way you wanted it to be done. She failed, and she failed miserably.

Respected Contributor

You are concerned about the old stylist being $5.00 cheaper, but how much has she cost you to get your hair redone? (tally up the # of manicures). Also, I wouldn't care how much cheaper if the salon was not clean and tools unsterilized. That is disrespectful to your patrons as well as disgusting. I've left salons for less.

Respected Contributor

I am in a similar situation....The last 2x my hairdresser cut my hair, she made a mess of it. I am SO picky about my hair. I have been going to her about 2 yrs, & at 1st I really liked her cuts. The more she talks, the more she cuts. We are close friends, but my G-kids are in same grades as her kids, we live in small town. I see her often at school events. I don't want to feel akward when I do see her.

As far as the dirty salon... I would have to leave that, no matter what!!

Super Contributor

The reason I'm finding this so hard is because the (prior) hairdresser had done a MEGA favor for me. I can't explain it further because it is relevant to my medical situation.....which I prefer not to announce on a board read by scillions of people I don't know.

Just let me say she went out of her way and allowed, tolerated, behavior that someone else might not. I feel like I owe her.

*sigh*

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

How close of friends are you? Do you do things together? Will she call you if she hasn't seen you in awhile and ask when you're coming in?

We've never done things socially. But she tells me I'm her "friend" and since we are alone when I have an appt, she has discussed very personal stuff - her divorce, her husband's affair, her current boyfriend, sexual comments, money problems, death of someone close to her, betrayal of a cousin she went into business with who embezzled money from the business.

Yes, if I don't show up she will call to check if I'm okay.