Honored Contributor

Baking Soda as exfoliant -- how to do it and would it be o.k. for sensitive skin?

I need a mild exfoliant to use on my sensitive, picky skin.

I've heard that one can use baking soda to exfoliate.

Anyone here use this who has sensitivity issues? If so, how do you use it exactly? Just wet some with water and apply? Or add it to a particular cleanser or what?

If you do not think this would be suitable for me, what do you think would be better?

Thanks so much for your help!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Baking Soda as exfoliant -- how to do it and would it be o.k. for sensitive skin?

I tried it 1x-my recovery period was epic. If you are sensitive I wouldn't recommend baking soda. How about a non scrubby exfoliant-Natural Aqua Cure Gel and the like?

Valued Contributor

Re: Baking Soda as exfoliant -- how to do it and would it be o.k. for sensitive skin?

I use it mixed with honey. I lightly coat my face, LIGHTLY rub it a bit, and then leave it on for a few minutes (the honey calms and moisturizes the skin). Then I rinse it off and my skin is incredibly smooth. For me, it's much better and less irritating than any other exfoliant I've tried.

Honored Contributor

just add a little to your cleanser and wash, sugar is also good

Valued Contributor

I can use most norma,l rougher scrubs without a problem, but my skin won't tolerate baking soda as a scrub. It was far too caustic. It's not for sensitve skin. It wasn't even for my non sensitive skin. I would get a Buf Puff in the sensitive skin version and use that with your cleanser. As your skin gets used to that you can use the rougher, regular one. The St. Ives exfoliating pads are pretty mild if you don't want to use a scrub.

Super Contributor

Using baking soda leaves my skin feeling like it was burning. I added it to my face wash and it was awful.

Mix sugar (exfoliates) and evoo and make a goop. You can even add some cream (lactic acid) to it-store in fridge. Make small batches and put into a small (washed out) moisturizer jar.

You can also use NCN Skincare 'Aqua Gel Exfoliator'. It's just as good as the more expensive Natural Aqua Cure Gel. (google NCNskincare). It's very gentle but through in exfoliating facial, neck & upper chest skin.

Frequent Contributor

I have hypersensitive skin. The addition of baking soda to my regimen was disastrous. I understand many love and use baking soda. Some products my skin will respond to beautifully that I would think would wreak havoc. Simply put, trial and error.

Super Contributor

I was using it mixed with Purity and after a couple of times my skin became very dry. Philosophy Microdermabrasion is very nice though.

I just tried a baking soda cleanser that is a thick cream. I loved it, it did not dry my skin out but it felt very clean. There is a version for oily skin and one labeled moist I tried the moist formula. I got it on ebay at etude house baking powder. Which will bring up all the baking soda cleansers. They even have a towlette which I would have loved but it is for oily skin.

Respected Contributor

I think I would be worried that baking soda would mess with your skins PH balance. Anyone else?

Super Contributor

Baking soda messes up the ph of skin. Yes, it's a great feeling exfoliant, but long-term it's bad for the skin Ph.