Honored Contributor

Cosmetic companies that don't list ingredients

Have you ever tried to find the ingredients in a product from a company that doesn't list them? It can be difficult.

I was mildly curious about the ingredients in Bobbi Brown's Pot Rouge, but they were nowhere to be found. Usually I can rely on Beautypedia reviews to include them, but even that didn't pan out because obviously this company, as do several others, refuses to provide them.

But I discovered a helpful site called COSDNA while I was googling to find the ingredients. This site listed them, along with a description of each ingredient's function and rates its level of irritation, safety, and its potential to cause acne.

Not only does the site have a Product Search, but if you already have the ingredient list, uou can use their Analyze Cosmetics to plug them in, and it will give the above information for that list.

I do not know nor can I vouch for the the accuracy of their ratings, but I do like that I can find ingredients when all else fails.

So here's a LINK to the page that gave me the ingredients in BB's Pot Rouge, so you can see how it works.

And here's the website homepage: cosdna.com

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Re: Cosmetic companies that don't list ingredients

Great website. I can't stand when companies are cagey about ingredients.

Contributor

Hi Suzy, thank you for the link. I have often mulled over posting something like "no ingredient lists, no sale", and this is a great post.

There are many brands (Origins, Aveda, Clinique immediately come to mind), which have never bothered to provide this information on their website, and my response has been never to bother with their products. (Atleast never online ordering. I do browse at Sephora or ULTA). Plain and simple.

In the past, I wrote to Origins about this; they never replied.

Clinique replied, saying, "they don't provide this info because the ingredient list changes and they want to avoid misleading people, and provide only the current latest list. Write to us to request this info, as and when you need". Yeah sure. I've got all the time in the world to do that for your hundreds of products. You see the almost asinine paradox there, don't you? I see only laziness. (And arrogance. I mean, they should know consumers have become quite savvy, if for no reason than that of personal sensitivities to ingredients!)

Particularly since there are SO MANY smaller companies and brands (Freeman, Gabriele, Goat Milk Stuff, to name only a handful), who routinely stick this info on their website. For crying out loud, my beloved AVON posts a list on every dang thing they make, and you know the HUGE number of products Avon puts out!

So, if I can't find it on Paula Begoun's wonderful site, and it's not on their own sites, I say sayonara and never look back. There are many, many choices out there, and my time and energy are limited, so if you don't publish your ingredients, I don't open my wallet !

Thank you for letting me rant a little! -Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

This bother me, very much. If they don't list the ingredients, I don't buy them, to many allergies. It actually should be cheaper for them, than having all the returns.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, SuzyQ3! It drives me crazy when I have to search multiple places looking for ingredients. I'll move this to the top of my list and spend less time searching.

Super Contributor

Estée Lauder does not allow any of their brands to post ingredients on company websites. This includes Clinique, Origins, Bobbi Brown, Aveda, Clarins, Shiseido, La Mer, MAC, Prescriptives, and Smasbox. It can be hard to find ingredient lists for these brands online. Thanks for the link.

Contributor

On 4/21/2014 cassiem said:

Estée Lauder does not allow any of their brands to post ingredients on company websites. This includes Clinique, Origins, Bobbi Brown, Aveda, Clarins, Shiseido, La Mer, MAC, Prescriptives, and Smasbox. It can be hard to find ingredient lists for these brands online. Thanks for the link.

Yes indeed. Estée Lauder needs to come down to earth!

Honored Contributor

I just noticed last week while searching for some makeup at a store that many more seem to be leaving off ingredients now....I don't buy it. I want to know what I am putting on my skin.

Honored Contributor

On 4/21/2014 lovesrecess said:

I just noticed last week while searching for some makeup at a store that many more seem to be leaving off ingredients now....I don't buy it. I want to know what I am putting on my skin.

I think they are required to list the ingredients on the package.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

OJON is TERRIBLE about this, so is PTR. I looked up the ojon hair restorative treatment and it didn't list all the ingredients on that website unfortunately. Great idea though.