Occasional Contributor

O/T Has your pharmacy ever made a mistake?

We use CVS Pharmacy and my husband just picked up a prescription which said it had 60 pills in it and there were only 30. It was just allergy meds - nothing expensive or narcotic -but of course the pharmacist refused to admit they made a mistake. I have had both CVS and Walgreens give me completely the wrong medication--if my huband or I get a new med I always check the description of pill (printed on the bottle) to make sure it matches the actual medication inside. Anyone else have these problems?
Respected Contributor

Re: O/T Has your pharmacy ever made a mistake?

Call the manager at the store and demand an inventory count.

Honored Contributor

Knock wood, I've never had a problem like that with my CVS pharmacy. I have occasional issues in trying to use their auto-refill system. But other than that, no problems. I do a double check of the one 'scrip that they have to count out. The others that I take come in factory sealed containers.

Honored Contributor

Many pharmacies now write on the bottle of bottle just how many pills are in the bottle.

I'm surprised you were not treated better.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Several years ago, my dad was hospitalized, and sent home with a Rx. My sister took it to the pharmacy, and came back with the wrong meds! I don't remember how we noticed it; we were all very stressed that day. She took them back to get it corrected. Very disconcerting.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Oh yes, at CVS. I always make a point to check out my meds when I pick them up. My husband picked up one of his and I made a point to check it out before he took it. It was a new med. Sure enough, it was a woman's name on the bottle and not the rx he was prescribed. You have to be really careful.

Honored Contributor

So far so good.

Respected Contributor

I switched to CVS last year and have nothing but problems. The med counts are fine but they ring up scripts without using my insurance coverage or tell me they are out of something and have to order it and then I get a electronic call 5 minutes later saying the script is filled. They have also said I had a script that I was out of refills and when I called my doctor they said that I did. They filled it without telling me I did. I have had to go back twice this year to fix something and they act like it is my fault. I have talked to the pharmacist and the store manager and they are both rude.

I picked this pharmacy because it is the closest to my house and I hate to drive. They refuse to credit my meds over the phone but I insisted last time because they messed up twice. I have one script that only they carry. That's is the only reason I am still using them.

I had problems with Walgreens and Walmart too. I dread ordering my scripts every month and they keep getting more and more expensive or my insurance co. quits carrying the meds I take. It is a terrible cycle.

Respected Contributor

CVS gave me the wrong Rx. I was prescribed Celebrex for my arthritis and they gave me Celexa which is for anxiety/depression. Big difference. You have to check everything !!

Honored Contributor

Our Walgreens here in Florida is a wonderful and professionally run pharmacy but the very small one we use in the very small town where we spend the summer is highly questionable. since we always have established Rx when we go there ( our doctors are here in Fl so we don't see doctors when we are up north) if something doesn't look like I am accustomed to I go right back and see the pharmacist. I just don't trust them at all. I also have to take everything in for refill way ahead of time because if I don't they frequently don't have the meds to fill them- and nothing unusual , lisinopril and allopurinol- drugs half the senior citizens in America take.