Regular Contributor

O/T Need a new washing machine....after 3 years..argghhhh, any recs?

Sorry so off topic. I have a front loading machine that after 3 years has been serviced 3 times, plus one door hinge that I replaced myself, all out of warranty of course. Now it's stopped spinning. I just can't put anymore money into it. SO FRUSTRATED.We are only a 3 person family, don't do a ton of laundry and use the machine properly. It's just not right that big ticket items just don't last anymore.

Ok-done with the rant now on to figuring out what will be the next machine. Any advice would be great. I am NOT going to get another front loader, I have never liked it and have heard so many others complain about them. Back to a top loader, probably without and agitater. I don't need a ton of bells and whistles. I do like a larger capacity as we have king bedding, that and my daughter uses more towels than socks. What's up with that?

Anyhoo, anyone have and good recommendations on brand of machine that they like? TIA!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T Need a new washing machine....after 3 years..argghhhh, any recs?

My sears kenmore is 22 years old and still working fine. I recommend that.
Valued Contributor

I, too, just got rid of an expensive GE front loader that I've only had a few years. I should have gotten them to take it back from the very beginning as I was never satisfied with it. I did a lot of research and ended up buying a Maytag Bravos XL and absolutely love it. It is so quiet and cleans great. I am very, very satisfied!

Trusted Contributor

First, download the error codes for your machine. You will then press a couple of buttons to determine the problem.

My machine will often not spin because the filter gets clogged. The code will tell you that.

I can take the thing apart and clean the filter and it is good to go.

I also had a REAL repairman tell me my three year old machine needed to be replaced. Needless to say, I fixed it MYSELF and it is still going strong.

Some machines have a small panel you can pull away to access the filter to clean.

I have dogs and the hair from their bedding was clogging the filter so now I wash that stuff at the laundry. Hope this helps!

You can watch some great videos on You Tube for help. I like ones from Repair Clinic.

Esteemed Contributor

Whirlpool or Roper by Whirlpool. I have had washers last 12 yrs, dryers for 15 yrs with only 1 heating element replacement and refrigerators 17 yrs.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

My front-loader and nearly 20-year-old dryer broke and I was able to get them both fixed for less than $200, including parts. I used an individual who repairs appliances, and he was much cheaper than the local appliance dealer's service would have been. The dryer needed only a belt that was just a few bucks and is now working as new. If you can get someone who operates a repair business with low overhead, it might be worth finding out how much he charges to take a look at it.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/13/2014 BlingQueen022 said: My sears kenmore is 22 years old and still working fine. I recommend that.

All the machines that were made 20 years ago have long been redesigned. Suffice it to say they don't make them like they used to. I bought a Kenmore about 10 years ago that lasted all of 5 years. I would not recommend the brand, but maybe I got a lemon.

I have a Maytag Bravos now (HE, top loader) that I love. One caveat about HE washing machines: read the manual. There are some significant differences in the way you do laundry in them vs. the old agitator machines. For starters, only use HE detergent and no more than 2 tablespoons.

Honored Contributor

My Whirlpool is 25 years old, never been serviced. I say go for old style top loader!!!

Super Contributor

Front loaders are HORRIBLE. I'd never buy one again. Top loader all the way.

Our Kenmore top loader at the shore is 20 years old and still going strong. BUT this was back when Sears put out a good product that was meant to last. Not so much anymore.

Respected Contributor

I have been here lately. I had a Samsung front loader. The first was replaced by Lowe's. The second had two new motors and several tubs. It had been rebuilt front to back twice under the Samsung warranty and rolled to the Lowe's; we now had to argue with Lowe's for an immediate check to purchase another one. I did the research. Modern appliances are built like Yugos, no matter the brand. They are meant to die in about 5 years, give or take, so you have to replace them. Just like other modern items that used to last forever in our parent's generation. I decided not to do a front loader due to the complexity and potential issues with all the fancy gadgets. I then narrowed it down to the impaler, the knobby bit in the center and the clothes are bounced to clean, or the traditional tub with the full center spindle. I went with the traditional full spindle due to having to load the impaler carefully around the center knob so they will get clean. My husband will not pay attention to that. I bought a GE that had the highest spin force, just 100 below the impaler models, so the clothes would not take as long to dry, thus saving energy. The front loaders really spin them out, while the top loaders can't get the force, but modern ones spin much faster, so many models have locking lids to prevent things from being put in while on such a fast rep.

If you go with a front loader, get a good warranty and as simple of a model that you can. My Samsung sanitized and all that good stuff. I decided that all I need is a quick wash, delicate, normal, and hand wash. Really knowing what my family needs with small kids makes shopping easier without all the fancy stuff.