Respected Contributor

WAY O/T! Anyone have a Siberian Forest Cat?

I had lunch with an old college friend yesterday, and she was telling me about her new kitten, and showed me pictures. OMG!! SO CUTE!!!!

I am HORRIBLY allergic to cats, most dogs, and too many other things. These Siberians are supposed to be somewhat hypo-allergenic, and have great dog-like personalities. Does anyone have one (or more…)? Do you have any experience with allergic friends? What can you say about their personalities?

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: WAY O/T! Anyone have a Siberian Forest Cat?

Here are a couple I found on the website of a breeder near me…. This is the girl:

Here's her brother:

Super Contributor

Awwwww sooooo adorable! My late great fur girl BiBi looked a lot like them.
Super Contributor

Aren't they like Norwegian Forest cats or Maine Coons?

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Clover29 said:

Aren't they like Norwegian Forest cats or Maine Coons?

Yes, they are similar. I don't know about the dander, though.

Respected Contributor

They are cute and expensive, $1200-1500. I live in the deep south and would feel guilty about keeping such a cold nature cat in my hot environment! Those cats have 3 layers of fur, WOW! They would be perfect for up north or Alaska. I'll stay with adoption, but I've got two cats, and that is plenty enough for me! Thanks for sharing the breed. They come in so many colors to please anyone and their allergy free tendency is great!

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 SusyQ22a said: Awwwww sooooo adorable! My late great fur girl BiBi looked a lot like them.

BiBi must have been a beauty!

Super Contributor

Yep she was. I've also had a Maine coon cat named Fred. The sweetest most laid back cat I've ever had. They are mellow and laid back like dogs. She was and a sweetheart too. I have also had a Maine Coon and they are such loving, sweet, gentle cats. Ours was named Fred and he was so laid back and mellow.... Almost like a dog. The one we have now is a tuxedo cat named McGyver
Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 tigriss said:

They are cute and expensive, $1200-1500. I live in the deep south and would feel guilty about keeping such a cold nature cat in my hot environment! Those cats have 3 layers of fur, WOW! They would be perfect for up north or Alaska. I'll stay with adoption, but I've got two cats, and that is plenty enough for me! Thanks for sharing the breed. They come in so many colors to please anyone and their allergy free tendency is great!

I totally understand! My friend only paid $800, and I think the ones whose pictures I posted are just a little more than that, neutered or spayed. Still a lot of money. There is a very sweet feral cat in my neighborhood… actually, I think she was dumped. Her ear is notched, so I know she's been spayed. I'd take her in if I could, but then I'd have to move out! If the Siberian's truly are hypoallergenic, it would be amazing!

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 SusyQ22a said: Yep she was. I've also had a Maine coon cat named Fred. The sweetest most laid back cat I've ever had. They are mellow and laid back like dogs. She was and a sweetheart too. I have also had a Maine Coon and they are such loving, sweet, gentle cats. Ours was named Fred and he was so laid back and mellow.... Almost like a dog. The one we have now is a tuxedo cat named McGyver

They sound wonderful! Can you post pictures?