Super Contributor

SEQUINS, RHINESTONES, SPARKLE, FOR WOMEN OVER 40 ????

Just a few days ago I read an article from the fashion industry slamming women over 40 wearing rhinestones, glitter, and "sparkle" tops and bottoms on a regular basis on daily clothing . It said that it is considered inappropriate after 40 to constantly dress in this manner, except for the occasional holiday or dressy occasions where sequins or some such might be appropriate when done in the "proper" manner. But constant "glittered" attire (couldn't help but think of Quacker Factory) is only for those younger than 40. What do you all think of that ???? Smile

Honored Contributor

Re: SEQUINS, RHINESTONES, SPARKLE, FOR WOMEN OVER 40 ????

I've got a studded handbag.....boots.......a casual jacket.......and I'm well over 40, and considered a fairly "conservative" dresser.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Was this article written in 1927? I LOVE historical fiction!
Frequent Contributor

LOL is what I think. It was probably written by a younger person and even if not I don't care what they say. I love sparkle and rhinestones and buy clothes with those. However I don't wear the all rhinestone t-shirts etc just sprinkled in or designs. I'm 60 and dress for my age. I'm always complimented on how nice I look. I don't let fashion mags or articles decided what I like and wear.

Super Contributor

Where was the article? Can you post a link?

Respected Contributor

I am over 40 and wear them sometimes. I love a nice tip with decorative stuff on it. Nothing outrageous, no belly showing.

I also love jeans that have studs, stones on the pockets etc.

I wouldn't wear glitter eyeshadow or stuff like that..glitter in my hair etc!

If done nicely the clothes will work ..depends on how you do it.

Honored Contributor

You state the article says on a daily basis on regular clothing. I think that makes a difference. I think rhinestones and glitz worn in the right place, the right time, looks good on anyone, any age, but for everyday wear all the time.. a bit much on even a 12-year-old girl. Too much glitz on anyone, any time can be too much.

Super Contributor

Who is the "fashion industry"? Obviously, the people designing, manufacturing and selling the clothing have a different opinion - and they are part of the fashion industry.

If you think it's too much - don't wear it. Why does it matter what other people choose to wear?

Fortunately, I'm old enough to make my own decisions on what I wear.

Valued Contributor

A little sparkle never hurt anybody.

Honored Contributor

almost everyone I see wearing sparkles and rhinestones on their everyday wear are well over 40.....or well under age 16.....I don't personally wear much in the way of embellished clothing but whoever wrote this article must live in an alternate universe.

don't forget the so-called "fashion industry" is who has brought us leggings, shoes that can't be walked in, and other horrors......pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!