Contributor

I used to watch QVC years ago, and it was funny, had great hosts, and tons of products. Now, the hosts are just a different sort. They aren't as personable and just seem like they are going through the motions, and every one of them uses the same language when describing a product, like it's all scripted. And the product line is overpriced, boring, and WHEN in the world are they going to get on the free shipping bandwagon. The shipping costs stop me from purchasing products time and time again. If something is $19, I don't want to spend another $7 to have it shipped. And then what if I don't like it? Another $7 to ship it back. It's ridiculous. And I swear, it might just be me, but every time I turn it on now, it's either an old laptop computer, or HP printer that is an old version (look them up), or a pair of Clarks shoes that I've been looking at for over 3 years. It's just the same old, same old, day in and day out. Their product line and vendors have shrunk. That being said, I started watching the other shopping channels and they are a lot of fun, with different products, free shipping a lot of the time, and better prices. QVC is just different and not very enjoyable to watch anymore. Just saying.

Honored Contributor

Completely agree. Somewhere along the line, QVC lost sight of the reality that for most of us shopping is supposed to be fun.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor
I agree. I avoid buying electronics, Bose, etc from QVC because so often the item they are selling is a discontinued or older model. I learned this the hard way.
Esteemed Contributor

unfortunately nothing will change....because despite the high cost of shipping...the q still sells thousands and thousands of dollars of their products....so they won't feel the need to offer free shipping as long as they still have so many customers buying....

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 QMaven said: I agree. I avoid buying electronics, Bose, etc from QVC because so often the item they are selling is a discontinued or older model. I learned this the hard way.

Agreed, I'd never buy electronics from Q either.

Trusted Contributor

The majority of the viewers are either not educated "shoppers" or they shop at qvc because of "easy pay" etc. I do 98% of my shopping in high end department stores and designer speciality stores. I get better deals for higher end apparel then what QVC charges for lower quality. In addition QVC's shipping is outrageous. They are making huge profits from shipping. I used to supplement my more expensive apparel with some less expensive pieces from QVC i.e. say I found a great "real" suede skirt on QVC and would wear it with a beautiful cashmere sweater from Lord & Taylors and boots & bag from Kate Spade etc. Before I buy anything I google like crazy to find the best price with free shipping etc. QVC does nothing for the customer i.e. no special deals during Christmas, no free shipping if you spend over a certain amount - absolutely nothing.

Honored Contributor

I would think that electronics are bringing in more profits. I have noticed QVC is offering more free shipping than before though. It would be nice if ordering items coming from the same warehouse that there could be a one shipping for all that day on anything purchased. The other shopping channels are basically the same but for a person just starting to watch, it seems different but they are all the same product wise. One shows watches, watches, watches, a lot of SKINN products, the same jewelry items for days and days and the same clothing items repeatedly. The other has electronics all the time and seems like more bedding etc. Nothing is going to please everyone. I prefer to go online to check out what I want to purchase rather than waiting/hoping to see something of interest on tv and only watch the shows I am interested in.

Honored Contributor

I agree with you. Shipping charges are more often than not a deal breaker. Product offerings are diminished. And hosts, if they're not amped up for the hard sell, are just going through the motions.

Valued Contributor

QVC losing it FAST!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm repeating myself, but I have to wonder who is left to buy when QVC sells the same thing over and over again?! How many vacuums and Sleep Member beds does one really need? At some point, everyone who wants one will have already bought one!

In the past, QVC didn't have the internet competition that it has now. The only positive QVC has is that they can show people (and show and show over and over and over again) how an item works. I'll bet electronics get returned less and have a higher profit margin. Even in stores like Walmart, I find electronics to usually be busier than elsewhere in the store.