Honored Contributor

*** Suggestions and concerns about the moderation of QVC Community forums ***

In numerous threads across the forums, posters are reporting their concerns about the moderation of the community and the application of the Standards for Participation. Some are uneasy about the potential changes announced after the recent survey, while others welcome a change.

(Here's a link to the proposed changes, for those who might not have seen them: Community Update -- link goes to: http://community.qvc.com/blogs/q/topic/460897/community-update.aspx)

Perhaps we can have a discussion here, to consolidate our opinions, impressions, and suggestions? I hope the moderators will read this thread, and I hope numerous community members will contribute.

Thanks, in advance.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: *** Suggestions and concerns about the moderation of QVC Community forums ***

I think they have already decided on the changes, but good luck with your plan.

Honored Contributor

Re: *** Suggestions and concerns about the moderation of QVC Community forums ***

They are going to do what they want. I don't believe our input has anything to do with it.
Honored Contributor

On 9/16/2014 depglass said:

I think they have already decided on the changes, but good luck with your plan.

Thanks, depglass! Actually, I don't have any plans as such. There's another active thread on this topic now, but it might not be seen by the same posters or by the moderators.

I figured it was a good try, anyway.{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Thanks for your comment.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I think this is a good idea to put all the ideas and concerns in one place, dooBdoo. I've actually been wondering when the Q staff will start posting. I now know that the Q staff and the Q moderators are two different types.

But I do remember them saying that they'd been posting in a designated area of this forum to answer peoples' questions and concerns. I wonder when and where they'll start posting?

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

I would like to know a couple of things:

When someone "reports" a post, I was told that it is flagged for the moderators to look at, look at the CONTEXT, and decide if the post should be deleted. I have been unable to find out if by "context", they mean the context within the post itself, or the context of the thread, because other posts in the thread might have precipitated the one that has been reported. Those posts might be the ones that should be deleted because they're attacking, being antagonistic, etc. which might prompt the reported response. To delete only the reported response in that situation would be unfair. If they just automatically delete a reported post or thread, then they should tell us that, instead of talking about "context" when it is obviously seldom considered.

The second thing is, the Social Network Team told me, in response to an email I sent, that they have no "list" of banned words. I don't see how that's possible when you try to submit a post and it comes back with a red message telling you a particular word is not allowed. There must be a list that they have programmed in, or that could not happen.

Also, some words which are totally innocent words are allowed in some places but not in others. In this day and age, apparently there are some very bad connotations attached to some perfectly innocent words--I've learned two in the last two weeks! Considering the fact that the majority of posters here are probably somewhat older (meaning 30's and up), I and others may not be aware of these "secret" meanings to some of these words. So we use them, and the post is either not accepted or it is deleted, and we have no idea why.

If they would post a list of banned words, somewhere where we could reference it, it would be very helpful.

Valued Contributor

I didn't comment on the poll, heck, I didn't even know there was a poll...lol. The one thing I would like for them to incorporate in the changes is that when a post is deleted, so is every copy of that post that has been quoted. While I realize that means that posters will be left reading posts that have no relevance, what's the point in removing a nasty post if the post lives on through other posters.

Wonder if anyone has taken up that charge.

Maria

Esteemed Contributor

I am happy they have taken control of what belongs to them. And there are so many negatives everyday that we face why can't there be a happy place to share ideas without being hurtful. That is my take. I appreciate NICE in my life. And I am thrilled to have found so many wonderful people out there.

Respected Contributor

They, QVC, are going to do whatever they want to do. Our opinions do not count. That's my opinion. If our opinions mattered to them, they would lower the shipping and handling costs..

KatieB

Honored Contributor

They asked us for our opinion. We filled out the survey, they went with what the majority wanted and now it's being implemented.

End of story.

I'm just surprised that they actually followed through with it this time. In 2012 they announced a "kinder, gentler" forum and NOTHING CHANGED.

I'm glad they finally did something.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN