Occasional Contributor
I just read that Joan Rivers stopped breathing during an out patient procedure having to do with her vocal cords per report she was rushed to a New York City hospital . I am praying for her to recover!
Honored Contributor

Yes, it's true. Please see the Featured Post from QVC Team.

Honored Contributor

Any thing can happen when you reach that age and have surgery, actually surgery is a risk at any age.

Super Contributor

She didn't have "surgery". She had a simple endoscopy in her doctor's office, not in a hospital even. This is a normal, common procedure. People of all ages get them all of the time for various reasons, this is always a risk, but rare. I've had them myself.

She stopped breathing for a moment, and they got her to Mt. Sinai hospital where she remains. I'm sure they will keep her forever under careful watch because of who she is, taking absolutely no chances, as they should.

My prayers are with her.

Esteemed Contributor

Throat procedures, although routine, are always at risk of serious complications, like heart arrhythmias and breathing can stop. And at 81, she would tend to metabolize medications differently than a younger person.

Respected Contributor

I pray for her recovery. She is one of a kind. If you can find it, read Camille Pagila's tribute to her. I'd post a link if I had one.

Found one. A good read even if you are not a fan.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/camille-paglia-joan-rivers-iconic-565825

Super Contributor

I read Joan was having minor surgery on her vocal chords. Who knows if it's true!

Super Contributor

It is true. She was in a medically induced coma the last couple days. Sadly, she is now on life support. Smiley Sad

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor
On 8/30/2014 Madisson said:

It is true. She was in a medically induced coma the last couple days. Sadly, she is now on life support. Smiley Sad

Being on life support is part of the medically induced coma.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/30/2014 palmajo said:

I read Joan was having minor surgery on her vocal chords. Who knows if it's true!

She was having an endoscopy at an endoscopy center on the Upper East Side in Manhattan.