Regular Contributor

Program hosts and personal stories....

A lot of people seem to complain about the hosts telling personal stories in the course of presenting products. Some people really, really, REALLY don't like it. I don't get that. I think that part of the job of being a program host is to be entertaining for the hour or 2 or 3 that they are hosting a program. And part of being entertaining in this type of format is to make a connection with the viewing audience. One way (and probably the primary way) to do that is to talk about yourself and your thoughts and experiences (and about how you might use/wear the product being presented) to make a connection to viewers that may share the same thoughts or have had the same experiences.

If a host might buy a bracelet to give to their sister for a particular reason, maybe someone else out there has a sister and might like to share the same sentiment with their sister and would not have thought how to do it otherwise.

If you don't like what the hosts are saying, watch on mute. You can find all the technical details you need on screen and online.

If you've ever watched The Next Food Network Star on the Food Network, the judges are constantly telling the contestants to tell personal stories to engage the audience. I think the QVC hosts are doing something similar.

If all the hosts did was recite the facts, the shows would be very dry and boring. I can get the facts by reading them online. Giving "color" while presenting makes it more interesting.

Super Contributor

Re: Program hosts and personal stories....

Some of the Q saleswomen yammer on far too much about their personal lives. Just an occasional mention would be fine with most here, but not to the point that folks are posting threads on these boards about marital status, wearing/not wearing wedding rings, etc. For me, I'd just as soon them talk about the items and skip the personal info. What fries my eggs is the ones who seem terrified of a nano-second of not using their voice (Shawn and a few others are so bad about this), and those same ones feel they must be cute-sy or baby-talking at high speed PLUS never taking a breath. Those wear me out, and I just CLICK turn off the show.

Super Contributor

I like the personal touch, especially if the host owns the item.

Super Contributor

I TOO LIKE THE PERSONAL INPUT THE HOSTS OFFER FROM TIME TO TIME....IT MAKES THEM HUMAN.

Respected Contributor

Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

Some is okay, but there are always those who go completely overboard to the exclusion of describing the details of the item they are selling. I want to know about the item, not your kids or spouse or departed relatives.
Super Contributor

On 9/30/2014 golfcartrider said:

Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts.

ITA.

I don't need all the personal tidbits especially when it is in place of the item's specifics itself.

Honored Contributor

On 9/30/2014 cosmic1 said: Some is okay, but there are always those who go completely overboard to the exclusion of describing the details of the item they are selling. I want to know about the item, not your kids or spouse or departed relatives.

Agree--some hosts go way too far into giving info on their personal lives and that of their children.

Honored Contributor

Sales tactic.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

People who have gone on the studio tours tell about how they learn that QVC constantly monitors sales throughout the on-air presentation so they can tell what is working, what is not. They've been doing this for decades. They know what sells, and if they see that a host or vendor's personal anecdotes are causing sales to go up, it will continue. Simple as that.