Valued Contributor

How about an "Offensive Poster" button, QVC?

I imagine QVC is trying not to offend shoppers by banishing them from the Forums for being ugly, rude, and intentionally offensive towards others. But how about if QVC gives us a button to click on to vote for a particular poster as being offensive or rude (or downright cruel)? After they get a certain number of clicks from a variety of people a number of times, they get a warning. Then, 3 strikes & they're out! No more flame wars, they just get booted-and it is the fellow forum members determining this, not QVC. Not their fault, they have to keep the masses happy. And part of the criteria would include that posters can't abuse the system by cheating with fake votes, either. Sort of like the ones they have on YouTube, where you vote if the comment adds to the discussion, or needs to be deleted due to being offensive or rude.

This isn't written with today's posts in mind; just from memory of miserable posts in days gone by. Thought it was worth a shot! Anybody agree?

Comedienne Gallagher had a great shtick years ago, about stupid drivers. He said when we are all out driving, we should have a bunch of 'stupid stickers' that we can let fly like arrows at all the stupid drivers' cars. After a law enforcement officer sees a car drive by with a thousand 'stupid' stickers on it, he pulls them over for being an idiot.

I always thought that was a great idea, lol! Even better for keeping a forum nice, & not needing nerves of steel just to read a few posts without cringing over seeing people getting blasted for little to no reason. I always feel badly for them.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Respected Contributor

Re: How about an "Offensive Poster" button, QVC?

Censorship is worse than the things you mention as offensive.

Valued Contributor

Voting No on this idea.

Honored Contributor

There is an ignore button. It comes in handy.

Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 birkin baby said:

Censorship is worse than the things you mention as offensive.

Agree.

(And we all have our moments of being less than gracious.)

Respected Contributor

On 7/22/2014 brii said:

Exactly.

It would be the most abused button on here. People would click on it for ridiculous reasons. And there'd probably not be anyone left here.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 brii said:

That was exactly my first thought.

Valued Contributor

This is a public forum which means anyone and everyone is entitled to post their thoughts. I don't have to agree or even like what they say or how they say it but that doesn't negate their right to say it.

My option, if I choose to take it (and I have, twice) is to put these posters on ignore. Let others do the same if they choose but please, the last thing I want is to become part of the bulletin board police.

Maria

Super Contributor

Agree with ""ignore"". Why would we need anything more?

Respected Contributor

I do not think some people use the ignore button because they want to see what the offenders say so they can put their two cents worth in and add fuel to the fire.

There are posters that have only bad things to say no matter what the subject is and they like to dissect every word just to get someone riled up.

I like to have fun and I do with some of my comments and even then I get no respect.

Some people just enjoy being miserable and like to pass it on. Read what they have to say and consider the source.

All of the posters good and bad add to the variety of the boards AND if someone is mean and hurtful over and over and over then they deserve to be banished but QVC.

Don't worry, be Happy!