Regular Contributor

St. Patrick's Day Programming

Since I look forward to this day all year I was wondering if anyone has any info. They have truncated the Irish Days so much I am concerned. The most unique programs they have and they are reducing them. Worried they may go away entirely.

Respected Contributor

Re: St. Patrick's Day Programming

The only info I have is that the TSV is an Irish sweater and the program guide lists ""28th Annual St. Patrick's Day Celebration"" for that day up until about 7 p.m.

Respected Contributor

I wish they would go back to a variety of things they once had. Not a bunch of novelty things, but things that are "Irish" even though they aren't crystal and/or sweaters. Cute planters, tee shirts, Leprechauns. Think VPH, but Irish. Cute little Irish figures with little thatch roof cottages. I once purchased a crystal paper weight shaped like an Irish potato. Loved it, and lost it in a move. I know there are more things in Ireland than what we get to see on QVC.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand the Q connection with ""Irish"". Did it start because of Jayne Tracey? No other retailer embraces St. Patrick's Day like QVC.

Respected Contributor

On 2/24/2014 sidsmom said:

I don't understand the Q connection with "Irish". Did it start because of Jayne Tracey? No other retailer embraces St. Patrick's Day like QVC.

Jane isn't Irish. Her husband is. I seriously doubt that Jane had much to do with the decision to celebrate St. Patrick's Day. They've been doing Irish shows for many years, and I'm sure it is because so many people in this country come from Irish backgrounds, like me. The St. Patrick's Day shows were once 24 hours in length.. I for one miss those days. Sadly, they've let the show degenerate into three items, sweaters, crystal and some jewelry. Too bad the don't have all the cute variety of things they once had.

I would love to see them carry this a few steps more - celebrate Octoberfest in a bigger way. Do days dedicated to British things, products from Israel, Australian creations, Japanese, Indian, Russian - there are so many. And just an occasional jewelry show doesn't do any of these countries justice. I really enjoy seeing items from other countries.

Honored Contributor

I think the Q probably used to do more specialized programming than they do now. Have no idea how the whole Q St. Patrick's Day marathon started, but I'd guess this is more or less a holdover from the old days that still nets them enough sales to make it worth their while to continue.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I believe they are cutting back because that goofy guy with the hat can out-happy-dance David, making him look like an "also ran." We can't have that.

Honored Contributor

Perkup...you brought up a good point...why NOT celebrate other heritages? Smiley Happy Especially British...since the Downton popularity. Laura Ashley, Crabtree & Evelyn...they could've gotten ahead of the curve those brands. Is Laura Ashley still out there? Loved that brand back in the 80's

New Contributor

I am so sad to hear that Colm De Ris pottery will no longer be sold on QVC since he is no longer making his pottery in Ireland. I have 3 of his pieces and was hoping for more. These shows are not as fun as in the past....

Honored Contributor

Looking at their on-line program guide, it looks like a substantial part of the day will be devoted to St Patrick's Day. From very early AM until it's time for PM Style at 7P.