Frequent Contributor

Remember the Russian collectibles shows?

This is going way, way back on the Q, and the upcoming Sochi Olympics made me think of it -- does anyone else remember the QVC shows that featured jewelry and collectible items from Russia?

The vendor was a Russian Orthodox priest whose name I don't remember (Father John something, I think?). He would visit different areas in the (then) Soviet Union and present items he had brought back, which included stuff like Baltic amber jewelry, handpainted lacquer items, beautiful elaborate crosses and religious icons, nesting dolls, textiles embroidered in Russian designs, etc. It was a wonderful collection of unusual stuff, and Father John always had amazing stories to tell about his travels, the meanings of designs and symbols used on items for sale, etc.

Really wish QVC would bring back shows featuring unique specialty items like these. But they probably wouldn't generate enough sales dollars to please current management.

Honored Contributor

Re: Remember the Russian collectibles shows?

I don't go that far back but this kind of show sounds fascinating. It really is too bad QVC has become so rigid in their approach to programming and so incredibly run of the mill.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I don't remember those shows, but I may have still been on CVN at that time. It sounds wonderful! Even once QVC did buy out CVN, back in those early days there was such fun and varied programming.

Respected Contributor

Funny you should post this as I was JUST thinking about this the other day. Weren't they usually hosted by Dan Wheeler also? I really miss this one show. Yes, so many good shows are now gone. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Contributor

Fr John Perich. He's alive and well. Still pastor of his church and selling his artifacts. We see him twice a year at his church bazaars about 5 miles south of West Chester. St Herman of Alaska.

Valued Contributor

I remember the Father John shows and products! I was just trying to recall who usually hosted... was it Dan Wheeler? I wasn't sure if he was there back then, so i thought maybe Steve Bryant or Bob Bowersox (sp?). I loved all the Matruskas and other items, but i was always fascinated with the fossilized bugs, etc. in the amber!

Local ~ that's sweet news that Fr. John is still in the area with his Church!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

I don't remember the Russian shows per se, but I do remember shows featuring products from other countries and I loved them. I bought some really nice beer glasses from Germany, a few Asian cooking items from an Asian-themed cooking show, and I remember the beautiful cuckoo clocks from Switzerland. QVC's programming was much more interesting back then.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Frequent Contributor

SuesCat and RedConvertibleGirl, you're correct - Dan Wheeler was usually the host for the Father John shows. I remember Mary Beth subbing for Dan at least once.

So glad to hear that Father John is still around and doing well!

Frequent Contributor

I remember those shows. Loved the nesting dolls and cloisonné spoons.
Honored Contributor

I remember the shows in the "old days", with all the unusual items. Now it's just the same old, same old over and over again. There is a limit to how much clothing, jewelry and makeup I need (or want).

I especially miss the German Oktoberfest shows and the Black Forest cuckoo clocks they featured, amongst other things.

It seems QVC made a decision when they hired Mike George (? formerly with Dell) to go generic. That was when they also stopped Kirk's Folly from bringing in the magical fairyland sets and made them sit at a plain table. (BAD move - ruined the atmosphere of the shows!) Most of what they sell is either their own in-house brand (e.g. Susan Graver) or something we can get just about anywhere else for less money or with free shipping.

I'm watching and buying less all the time. I seldom have QVC on the TV now and when I do record something, I just fast-forward through it to see what was on offer.