Christmas in July(R) Sale
90 Members and 12582 Guests Online

The Q We Love

QVC memories

Started 1390765191.263 in The Q We Love | Last reply 1393618725.723 by tishkins

I bought my first desktop computer from QVC when I lived in San Diego. Probably right around 1988.

It was a pre-pentium 10Mhz processor, no graphics card, and a monochrome monitor. It had a 5 and a quarter, and a 3 and a quarter inch floppy drives.

I don't think it did much.

It ran DOS like a champ!

{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

~ Scott

Page 1 of 2
kristico1390766247.76352 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

I loved watching the hosts -- Kathy Levine, Steve Bryant, Judy Crowell.... I still love to watch Mary Beth and Jane ... they are familiar faces. Boy ... the gold and diamonique I used to buy... wish I had bought a ton more at those prices! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Windycity1390767551.5971039 PostsRegistered 4/15/2005

At work we were told: "Don't copy the floppy!"

Actually registered and a poster since 2004 ~

Retired081390767903.9135296 PostsRegistered 2/2/2008 Beautiful Coastal Georgia

I miss the old QVC. I don't even watch anymore. Too much has changed, and not for the better to me.

What you put into the lives of others comes back into your own.

banjo1390773180.3775090 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006Nebraska

I miss the all day craft shows. I used to love Gallery Glass and the demos they did with that.

You can tell who the strong women are, they are the ones building each other up, instead of tearing each other down!

Vickie2U139105635418 PostsRegistered 4/6/2012

I miss Murphy. Dan Hughes' Golden Retriever that had a lot more personality than Dan himself. I used to tune in to the morning show just to see Murphy helping out by, for instance, holding the remote control to the dvd player being sold.

One time I guess Dan stayed late because another host was in the QVC "backyard" in the afternoon presenting something outdoorsy, when all of a sudden there was Murphy...running around in the background having the time of his life. Lol.

I hope Murphy is still in the world and doing well.

Last edited on 1/29/2014

StuffyBug1391056645.092055 PostsRegistered 6/17/2010
Sadly, Murphy passed on several years ago.

Divine1391056948.5733429 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008
On 1/26/2014 banjo said:

I miss the all day craft shows. I used to love Gallery Glass and the demos they did with that.

I do too. In fact yesterday I was channel surfing and ran across Suzanne Runyan on HSN. She looked great, and it made me think about all the craft shows that used to be on the Q.

kutira1391058363.05610 PostsRegistered 8/30/2007Midwest

I know there have been a ton of these threads, BUT I miss Kathy Levine and all the gold I bought, especially the really big pieces that were stolen in a break-in at my house. I loved Steve Bryant second.

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles; it empties today of its strength.

twhite561391559705.86371 PostsRegistered 1/30/2010Beaverton Oregon

I remember a contest with a spinning wheel, something to do with a lucky Caller...Could win I believe up to 100 dollars in Q credit..

ury1391560609.662777 PostsRegistered 2/27/2010Midwest - Western MO

Before QVC I bought jewelry at expensive stores and not much of it. I have sensitive skin and don't wear costume jewelry well. The lower prices helped me to switch to sterling silver and white gold -- something I'd been wanting to do. I have some nice pieces even though I buy much less now. I enjoyed Lisa, who left a couple of years ago. Kathy Levine left right after I started watching. I remember the holiday shows. Seems like it was light hearted and casual among the hosts back then.

Ury

sashamatth­ews1391561300.151519 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I miss the time when we were NOT striving to fit in on Madison Avenue - do you know what I mean? We wanted a nice jacket, or a lovely piece of Diamonique, or a handcrafted Fenton vase or Nesco cooker. We enjoyed this new world of television shopping with hosts who were learning the ropes along with us. Today it's all hard sell - there doesn't seem any room for common humanity. I miss those days.

doglover31391561929.2239462 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I miss Kathy Levine as well as Jeff H, both the Steves, Bryant and Collantuna,sp, Marty and his diamonique stories late night and yes that game they had. So right, were still learning the ropes and not so hard sell, more like watching friends with funny moments and mistakes.

I rarely watch live anymore.

Reever1391567956.493456 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007New York
I miss the glory days of the Q also. It's spiraled downhill ever since Kathy walked off the set at her farewell show. Sad what it's become.

apple391391740417.693 PostsRegistered 5/27/2012

Oh my gosh = it is great to read about your memories. I thought that I was the only one missing the early days at QVC.

lovesrecess1391740666.57313430 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas
On 1/26/2014 Retired08 said:

I miss the old QVC. I don't even watch anymore. Too much has changed, and not for the better to me.

ITA! Back then no one yelled at you when they presented a product! They were calm and personable and seemed very genuine.....now I don't watch because of all the nonsense. Too manic for me in many cases.

Daysdee1391741067.4318608 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

No high pressure to buy in the old days. The hosts were calm, informative and fun to watch. They acted professional. Now I watch if I'm bored, but don't order nearly as much. QVC no longer has that many items that you can't buy locally or on another website. I really dislike the way the hosts act now--hard sell, shouting, dancing and the kissing of vendors is way too much. The kissing or "air kissing" is very unprofessional and instead of it going away, they are doing it more and more.

vicki is ok1391778938.761500 PostsRegistered 11/21/2005michigan

I also have some great memories of the "old" QVC. Seemed like the hosts were much calmer back then. I could be wrong though and just thinking that.

One thing I DO remember years back is when one of the models slapped another one on air and no it wasn't in a playful way. The model who did the slapping was fired and if I'm not mistaken, the other model is still on the Q. Does anyone else remember that. Can't remember the models name who was slapped.

VickiSmile

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen-Winston Churchill

happy hous­ewife1391779526.84729974 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007
On 2/4/2014 sashamatthews said: I miss the time when we were NOT striving to fit in on Madison Avenue - do you know what I mean? We wanted a nice jacket, or a lovely piece of Diamonique, or a handcrafted Fenton vase or Nesco cooker. We enjoyed this new world of television shopping with hosts who were learning the ropes along with us. Today it's all hard sell - there doesn't seem any room for common humanity. I miss those days.
I completely agree with you. i never had a piece of designer clothing in my life except my wedding dress , but now QVC thinks that these so called designers (most of whom we have never heard of before QVC) are all they have. I don't need or want to pay for someones name on a label. I want nice things that are decent quality at a reasonable price. I really miss the old days when they would offer items liek the nesco roasters - things we didn't see at our local stores. I bought a T fal deep fryer about 25 years ago and we still have it and use it all the time. Itseems the stuff they offer now is pretty much the same as Walmart level junk.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

paShar1391779571.231822 PostsRegistered 1/14/2006Western Pennsylvania

Back in the "old days" of QVC, the hosts had to know the product inside and out. They didn't have the vendors on all the time. Occasionally there would be one but for the most part it was the host selling the product.

Shar

castlenv1391801115.277234 PostsRegistered 10/12/2006Henderson,NV

I miss Koos, Victor Costa. I agree QVC has changed a lot and not for the better IMO in the past 10 years but then there is a lot more competition. 25/30 years ago when QVC, HSN started, they were the only game in town. Now every store has a website, we have Amazon and there's just a lot more to choose from. Which makes me wonder why people continue to buy so much from QVC which rarely offers free shipping or sale prices or any other incentive. I checked my "wish list" and I have 10 items there and they have been there a long time. I have definitely moved on from buying from QVC.

ladybuglai­nie1392133781.81504 PostsRegistered 11/12/2006Florida

I miss the old Q also! Now days I watch it just a very minute fraction of time compared to what I used to. I'm not going to waste my precious time watching and listening to what I consider just plain rudeness from hosts and vendors alike, when we very diligently teach our children from the time they're big enough to walk NOT to do that. Manners don't cost one single penny, and I'm not going to listen to a grown adult boast about their college education one minute, and then rudely interrupt and/or bully the other person they're working with the next minute.

JB1392136172.39516 PostsRegistered 11/7/2005
On 2/7/2014 happy housewife said:
On 2/4/2014 sashamatthews said: I miss the time when we were NOT striving to fit in on Madison Avenue - do you know what I mean? We wanted a nice jacket, or a lovely piece of Diamonique, or a handcrafted Fenton vase or Nesco cooker. We enjoyed this new world of television shopping with hosts who were learning the ropes along with us. Today it's all hard sell - there doesn't seem any room for common humanity. I miss those days.
I completely agree with you. i never had a piece of designer clothing in my life except my wedding dress , but now QVC thinks that these so called designers (most of whom we have never heard of before QVC) are all they have. I don't need or want to pay for someones name on a label. I want nice things that are decent quality at a reasonable price. I really miss the old days when they would offer items liek the nesco roasters - things we didn't see at our local stores. I bought a T fal deep fryer about 25 years ago and we still have it and use it all the time. Itseems the stuff they offer now is pretty much the same as Walmart level junk.

I thought I was the only one who never owned a designer anything! I have no desire to pay high prices to wear someones name. QVC used to offer real deals and items that were hard to find elsewhere. Now you see the same things over and over and everywhere. But I guess it's hard to reinvent the pressure cooker, vacuum and everything else. So instead they come up with new colors of the same old things.

Be kind. You never know what someone else is going through.

hutchIII1392512132.453120 PostsRegistered 5/22/2010

On Friday nights there was a show that Kathy Levine hosted often called "The Finishing Touch". I loved that show! Remember the "scarf clips"?? You would slide your scarf into both ends. I purchased them from that program and still use them today. Got them in gold and silver. Those were the days!

Catfancy11392513578.39280 PostsRegistered 8/8/2013Oregon

I miss the old QVC. It was fun to watch. Now. not so much. I remember Bob Bowersox shortly before he left trying to sell an over priced popcorn popper. I loved the old jewelry shows. It was nice jewelry then and affordable. I miss those days with Kathy and Steve, Judy Crowell and Paul. They knew their product and gave excellent descriptions of what they were trying to sell!{#emotions_dlg.huh}

A house is not a home without a cat!
The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up!

Lizzy Benn­et1392514421.173570 PostsRegistered 2/4/2011
I loved it when they really used to have quality, value and convenience.

Page 1 of 2