Maxi Dresses
153 Members and 11243 Guests Online

Q Did What?

UPS Basic Rural delivery

Started 1277336028.153 in Q Did What? | Last reply 1297308819.827 by PinkSugar

What? I ordered many items on the QVC easy pay day on Sunday. This is where they turn it over to USPS , at some point , and it adds an extra day for delivery because it's delivered by my postal carrier.

I can understand on some items which are lower in price but they shipped my D and B tote this way and not to mention the fact that when I ordered the tote it said the estimated date of delivery was 6-24 ( tomorrow). I'm sure I won't be here tomorrow because it just shipped today!

May have to re-think ordering from QVC. Very dissapointed and I paid nearly $10 for that delivery.

Page 1 of 1
elizabeth k1277336148.48135 PostsRegistered 11/12/2008

I should also mention that the other items I ordered ( a Playsation 3 and some Dr Denese) were shipped by UPS ground. I do not live in a rural area.

Not happy.

CardinalGi­rl_1277393302.0376447 PostsRegistered 7/11/2007

ElizabethK--My orders began being shipped UPS Basic several months ago, which took several days longer than UPS Ground. I found, though, that you can request UPS Ground when you order. If you order by phone, inform the operator how you wish your item to ship. If you order by computer (as I do), then simply switch the method.

The price is the same. The only drawback I have found is that when I buy multiples of an item, I don't receive the shipping discount on the extra items.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.....it's about learning to dance in the rain.

MOMOF2BOYS1277407778.81200 PostsRegistered 2/23/2007

I just did a post about this UPS rural stuff. I am so tired of the UPS rural delivery. I too had ordered may items on Sunday and I choose UPS ground and the items that give you a discount would not let me change to ups rural so they are sending EVERYTHING ups rural. I think it is very wrong on QVC's part to not give a shipping discount if you want UPS ground on multiple items. Shame on you QVC, your shipping prices are already high enough and you continue to make money off your customers from the shipping. I ship UPS daily at my business and we get a discount for a volume so I am sure QVC gets a huge discount but they won't pass it on to us customers.

purrmom1277409823.383399 PostsRegistered 5/27/2010Mid-MO

I hate this too. I don't live in a rural area, either, houses next door, across the street, etc. I always try to change the shipping to UPS Ground (much better service.) Not sure what's going on with UPS anymore. I used to be able to send out pkgs UPS from my grocery store, but now they only use USPS. The UPS store is located inconveniently far away. Wish QVC would change this.

elizabeth k1277410897.923135 PostsRegistered 11/12/2008

It really is going to be a deal breaker for me. When I ordered, I selected from the drop down box "UPS ground"; it didn't say UPS ground/basic rural.

I wouldn't complain as much for cheaper items but a Dooney bag over $200 should get UPS Ground. Even my small night cream from Dr Denese came by UPS ground, not basic rural.

QVC, I think you should re-think this. Many unhappy customers. I paid full shipping and it get's delayed due to the handoff to USPS not to mention the shoddy treatment USPS can give packages because mail carriers don't want to deliver them to your door.

Not happy, not happy at all.

MandaCat1278750424.0971 PostsRegistered 7/10/2010

I've recently encountered this problem, too. I do not live in a rural area, and I did not select 'UPS Basic Rural' shipping when I placed my order. The other item I ordered has shipped UPS Ground, as I selected for both items I ordered - which was done at the same time. I understand if they're not actually shipping together in the same box, but the fact that one of my items is being sent by a shipping method I did not select... well, it really ticks me off. As mentioned by others, shipping costs are high enough. I paid for UPS Ground shipping; that's what I should get.

Very disappointed.

marykat1278769073.63314 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

elizabeth k, at least you got your orders. This has happened to me lots!!! I hate it!

PatientRep1279052227.1131 PostsRegistered 7/13/2010

I had this happen with another carrier, but didn't realize that QVC was doing it until I placed an order, tracked it for days and then saw "tendered to local post office." One of the advantages of using UPS is being able to track and know when delivery has occurred. The other thing that bothered me was that I received an e-mail saying my item shipped on July 7, but for the next six days it said "Billing Information Received."

Venezia1279071395.1532642 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007
On 6/24/2010 CardinalGirl_ said:

ElizabethK--My orders began being shipped UPS Basic several months ago, which took several days longer than UPS Ground. I found, though, that you can request UPS Ground when you order. If you order by phone, inform the operator how you wish your item to ship. If you order by computer (as I do), then simply switch the method.

The price is the same. The only drawback I have found is that when I buy multiples of an item, I don't receive the shipping discount on the extra items.

Yes, you should receive the shipping discount. You have to select the same shipping method for each item. When you switch your shipping from one method to another the screen in front of you will show all the items at the full S&H. However, when you continue, the order summary should show the 1/2 price S&H for each subsequent item - assuming you selected the same method for each item.

I've done this many times (changed the S&H) and never had a problem. If you do, simply contact CS and they will amend it for you. You definitely should not be paying full price for multiples of the same item.

I've only found UPS Rural used when you select "Best Delivery" method. Or when an item has free S&H. Then you have no choice - it's up to QVC unless you want to select the method of shipping yourself and pay for it. When an item doesn't have free S&H, I always select either USPS first class or UPS Ground. Never had a problem with either of them yet.

ETA: I just received an item today that had free S&H. It took several days longer to reach me than even packages mailed out after it was!

Last edited on 7/13/2010

Last edited on 7/13/2010

gojo1279071872.493307 PostsRegistered 4/25/2006

I used to live where they started sending things UPS Basic Rural. But when I chose from the drop down box UPS Ground - my purchases always came that way. Alot of the times it was the same price - sometimes maybe a few cents more. And yes, when you order multiples the discount doesn't show until the very end. At first you see the shipping go up after you change from Best Delivery but then it does go down on the last page.

They say it's a cheaper method but I just don't see how it is when they end up paying UPS and the Post Office. It used to really get me mad when I ordered a few things and I'd track them and they'd arrive at UPS on the same day - he was coming to my house anyway and yet I had to wait another day because some of the packages were going to the post office.

Now I live in a big city and everything comes UPS ground.

jewelfool1279124189.1171299 PostsRegistered 12/26/2009

My DH who works for UPS just told me this week that it's quite common for the Q to ship to UPS and UPS deliver to the local post office to be delivered by regular mail! I couldn't believe it.

Jadite1279164968.413525 PostsRegistered 2/24/2009Colorado

QVC just starting doing that about nine months ago. Before I always got my items from UPS! Not now, my items are shipped UPS until it gets to my post office then the mail man brings it to me! That adds a extra day to my delivery time!

WHEN ASKED: "Do you need that many Dooney's" I SAY: "Need has nothing to do with it... I just want them"

twocent1279166074.999602 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008

Absolutely Hate UPS Basic Rural . My post office has horrible service ! {#emotions_dlg.angry}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. :(

HeidiB1280587464.4147 PostsRegistered 7/25/2010

I guess I forgot to mark the Bethlehem Lights swags and wreaths individually as wanting shipped UPS. Mine were just delivered this morning by USPS.

I could hear this car horn beeping. I just woke up and didn't think it was for our household. After several long beeps, I looked outside to see it was a USPS vehicle. I was still in my nightgown.

I guess I wasn't moving quick enough because by the time I got my shoes on to go outside, I could hear loud thuds on my porch. My wreaths, swags and garland arrived. Thud. I opened the door to thank the carrier, but he just gave me a look and got back in the vehicle. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Yes, they were oversized boxes. I can't help it how my items were shipped.

I never hear a thud like that when UPS delivers.

Now I'm going to check them all out to make sure they all work.

Two thumbs down for Basic Rural shipping. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} Unless it's free shipping, I will triple check to see my items don't get shipped this way again.

memyselfan­dI1281007681.2732641 PostsRegistered 7/30/2006

If you order on line you can pick having UPS delivering it to you. (It is under the shipping options) It is the same price. I have done this for month now and it comes UPS, not UPS basic.

I am much happier!

The original memyselfandI! (Marsha)

suzyQ31281032635.27722975 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 8/5/2010 memyselfandI said:

If you order on line you can pick having UPS delivering it to you. (It is under the shipping options) It is the same price. I have done this for month now and it comes UPS, not UPS basic.

I am much happier!

I'm surprised that so many customers are not aware that there is a drop-down menu on that page. I guess they just see the default "best standard delivery" and that's it. BTW, you can even choose the option of UPS or, if applicable, USPS priority or first-class when ordering by phone, if you talk to a rep. You just have to ask them to let you know what the option is that costs the same as the default.

lurkeyloo1281038481.157111 PostsRegistered 3/16/2007

I just called the President's office this morning to complain about the added time before receiving items shipped "UPS Rural". The first woman I spoke with was nice enough.

I called back a little later because I remembered something I wanted to add. The second lady, however, was not nearly as nice. She actually had the nerve to say they hadn't had many complaints about "UPS Rural" service! I told her that she should read the boards, as it would give her quite the education.

I cancelled all of my auto deliveries back when they first started using this stupid shipping method, but stupidly let them get built back up. Even though I now only buy things that I can not get any other place (special makeup configurations, pricings, etc.), I am seriously thinking of cancelling all of my current auto deliveries and skipping the Q for good.

Unlike the early days of QVC, we have the luxury of shopping from almost every company out there either online or by phone, and having it shipped to us for little to no shipping and handling. I would think that rather than pushing customers away, QVC would do everything in their power to not just keep existing customers, but constantly add new ones. Is "UPS Rural" really the way to accomplish this?

dawg1281398293.21729 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004

I have been so disgusted with QVC shipping and UPS. I live in a small town and receive my mail at the post office. They open after I leave for work, close during the lunch hour and are closed before I get home from work. So I choose UPS so it would be sent to my front porch...not the case anymore! {#emotions_dlg.angry} UPS now delivers my packages to the post office conveniently at 4 pm as they are locking their doors for the day! It doesn't help to use my street address only on the label...it still ends up at the post office!

MikesHalf1297274488.7775 PostsRegistered 2/9/2011

They instead deliver the item to the post office, which in turn delays the shipment for one more day. Now, that is not really a big concern, my biggest worry is that I don't trust USPS. Is not trustworthy, nor reliable {#emotions_dlg.mad}. I'm very disappointed that QVC is doing this. What is even worse, it seems to me that UPS services is getting as lousy as USPS. I can't believe they even rely on the USPS services. Why they charge for UPS shipment if is going to end up at the post office anyway? I've already lost a shipment because of this and when you call UPS they won't even assume responsibility. They say you need to discuss the issue with the sender, Amazing!{#emotions_dlg.confused1} . I do live in a rural area but when I buy items online from any other retailer, they do deliver to my door. This must be a QVC thing. Now if I'm paying for an specific service, I'm expecting that service. The fact that you charge for "ground delivery" and then turns out to be "rural" is nothing but bait and switch. You really need to do something about this, it's very unprofessional and deceiving.

Twixy1297275017.64110 PostsRegistered 8/15/2007

I quit ordering so much like I used to because of this. My mail delivery people act like it's going to kill them to have to bring packages up to my door when they can't be crammed into my mailbox! Just got fed up with it all.

Mountain M­omma1297293501.03452 PostsRegistered 4/17/2008

A few years ago, UPS and USPS contracted to help each other. UPS would allow USPS to use their private planes to ship mail and packages (the USPS, by law, cannot own their own planes, and mail was often "bumped"), and USPS would deliver all of the smaller packages to the rural customers, which often cost UPS more in fuel and manpower than they received for delivering.

This was supposed to help both companies, however, no one cared about the extra load for the mail carrier, who is salaried, and receives no extra compensation for delivering the extra packages. Carriers in my area have seen daily packages climb from an average of 30 a day, to over 70 a day, in addition to all of the regular mail.

Your carrier doesn't know if you are sleeping. He or she only knows that he or she is on a tight schedule, and there are hundreds more customers to take care of, in a very limited time frame. In every post office that I know of, carriers will be written up if they are back later than their "approved" time. Their schedules are extremely rigid and tightly controlled, and the extra packages from UPS add to their stress.

I am not offering excuses. I hate the whole process, too. I just wanted you to know a bit about the other side.

PinkSugar1297308819.7620116 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006
On 2/9/2011 MikesHalf said:

They instead deliver the item to the post office, which in turn delays the shipment for one more day. Now, that is not really a big concern, my biggest worry is that I don't trust USPS. Is not trustworthy, nor reliable {#emotions_dlg.mad}. I'm very disappointed that QVC is doing this. What is even worse, it seems to me that UPS services is getting as lousy as USPS. I can't believe they even rely on the USPS services. Why they charge for UPS shipment if is going to end up at the post office anyway? I've already lost a shipment because of this and when you call UPS they won't even assume responsibility. They say you need to discuss the issue with the sender, Amazing!{#emotions_dlg.confused1} . I do live in a rural area but when I buy items online from any other retailer, they do deliver to my door. This must be a QVC thing. Now if I'm paying for an specific service, I'm expecting that service. The fact that you charge for "ground delivery" and then turns out to be "rural" is nothing but bait and switch. You really need to do something about this, it's very unprofessional and deceiving.

What's one additional day. Sheesh. I get excellent service from both USPS and UPS. My USPS lady even trudges to my door in the snow. It must be the workers at your office.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Page 1 of 1