Trusted Contributor

Do shopping channels sell blocks of time (hours) to vendors?

It seems as if some of these vendors are given an entire hour or two so frequently that is feels like it is just being shoved at us with no real thought of programming. Or, is it simply that the buyers aren’t able tosource as many good creative products and vendors as their predecessors?Right now everything is D&B at QVC and practically everything is Invicta at Evine - for days. Back in the old days, I would look forward to a 2 or 3 hour Diamonique special on a Sunday evening, but that is because it was rare – not most of the day for days in a row. Now, it is an overdose of same vendors/same products that it is no longer worth watching. The constant repetition is a real turn-off for me. What are your thoughts?

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do shopping channels sell blocks of time (hours) to vendors?

YES! Absolutely. I have suspected this for some time. Like an independent TV Station I think they sell blocks of air time to a specific brand for a fixed fee. I would think they also get a percentage of actual sales in exchange for the extra benefits of on air ads and using the QVC host.

Edited to correct spelling errors.

Trusted Contributor

Unless you know for certain, you should not make blanket statements like this. You suspet but have no actual knowledge of the situation.

Based on all reports I have seen on QVC plus discussions with employees of other shopping channels, this is not the case.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not believe so.

Frequent Contributor

I definitely think they do this. I actually think it is smart business, but really boring for the consumer.
Valued Contributor

KYToby, you have no idea what people know as fact & how they know it. I'll just leave it at that.
Valued Contributor

On 3/14/2015 KYToby said:

Unless you know for certain, you should not make blanket statements like this. You suspet but have no actual knowledge of the situation.

Based on all reports I have seen on QVC plus discussions with employees of other shopping channels, this is not the case.

Everyone got that? We're not to ask any questions unless we know the answer.
Super Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Johnnyeager said:

YES! Absolutely. I have suspected this for some time. Like an independent TV Station I think they sell blocks of air time to a specific brand for a fixed fee. I would think they also get a percentage of actual sales in exchange for the extra benefits of on air ads and using the QVC host.

Edited to correct spelling errors.

Yes, I recently read an article confirming that QVC does indeed sell time blocks to certain vendors, such as Shark, Dyson, Vitamix, etc.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the verification. It's so obvious. I think you have to be somewhat deficient or dense to think otherwise. I guess it makes business sense to them to sell the station and its viewers, I sure would for the money. As a viewer and buyer, you like it, or you don't. It is what it is.

Honored Contributor

If that is the case, then for a price QVC is also providing a host for an "infomercial." No wonder QVC is so boring now. (Still not sure that is the way it is though.)