Super Contributor

Gardening - need comments from gardeners who shop QVC plants

It is still very cold in so many parts of the country, yet QVC is doing gardening shows. I am assuming that they won't be sending plants out until it is warmer? I would like to know if anyone routinely orders plans from QVC, and the condition of the plants when they arrive-and how they do after they are planted. Some of the plants really look lovely. Sometimes, they actually look like fake flowers. Can I get some recommendations or even negative comments from the gardeners out there?

Valued Contributor

Re: Gardening - need comments from gardeners who shop QVC plants

I gave up ordering plants from QVC several years ago because they always shipped too early for my zone. Many plants arrived half dead. If I was lucky and, if I nursed them very carefully, I actually got a few to grow a little.

I complained one year to the vendor, got replacements the next year. One of the containers was nothing but common grass!

I will say that one year I ordered and received hydrangea plants. I planted them in pots, abused the heck out of them over the winter, transplanted them from a pot to the ground when I moved, and they have thrived. I don't recall if they were Cottage Farms or Roberta's.

Honored Contributor

I stopped ordering years ago because after many tries the plants just did not work for me. Both vendors do send the plants out at the appropriate time for planting in your area, but the plants just never produced what was promised. I never had any luck contacting these people for replacements either, not able to reach by phone or online. I think if you live where it's warm most of the year you will have better luck with the plants. I have more success with plants I buy from WalMart.

Respected Contributor

I ordered once and the plants were DOA. The Q did refund my money including S&H

Regular Contributor

Rather than purchasing plants through QVC, I would suggest just purchasing them through your local nursery. The plants I have gotten through QVC, whether by Cottage or Roberta's have died or arrived dead. They are good at giving you your money back, but why go through that stress? Just go and buy a plant that is good for YOUR area and watch it grow right away. You will avoid a lot of stress doing it this way.

Contributor

None of the plants that I ever ordered thru QVC thrived. They arrived in poor condition, looking very different than what they showed on air. You are better off going to your local nursery where you will certainly find better prices.
Occasional Contributor

I have wasted so much money on QVC plants! I will never order again! Everything died!!

Honored Contributor

They do use artificial plants for the TV demos. I've ordered some things from both vendors. Will not order again from Roberta's. My CF plants were very small when I got them. Got a butterfly bush that was about 3-4" high. I put it in a pot for the summer, then planted it in the ground. It's been going strong for 5 or 6 years and gets about 6' tall every summer, then I cut it back for the next year. Also have a hardy hibiscus which is about 7' tall and blooms like crazy.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Buy your plants locally! The quality is almost always better and you'll see what you're getting before you pay.

Trusted Contributor

What I have ordered from Cottage Farms always has thrived. Last year I got the sunpatients and though small when planted, by summer's end they overflowed their containers and were beautiful. A few years back their were 2 plants in a package of 8 that did not make it, was replaced by CF, no problem. I do buy the majority of my plants locally, but sometimes CF has super deals and I can't resist.Smile