Super Contributor

Anyone know why R.I. residents , are not allowed to enter QVC sweepstakes/contests ?

I just tried to enter the contest the Q is having , for LR products & gift cards . Residents of R.I. aren't allowed to apply . The same thing happened a month ago, for another Q contest . I realize it's due to our State laws regarding Q contests , and I never had trouble entering contests offered by other companies . Do any other R. I. shoppers know the actual reason for this ban ? Thank you .
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone know why R.I. residents , are not allowed to enter QVC sweepstakes/contests ?

I don't live there, but I found this online (I'll post an excerpt here, but there's a long explanation at the link):

"...In the United States, every state establishes their own set of rules for contests. Most states have the same basic rules, so most national contests are valid. Rhode Island is unique because the state law actually requires the company to file a legal statement before it can run a contest in that state. The statute, Section 11-50-1 of Rhode Island General Laws, reads:

"Any person, firm, or corporation proposing to engage in any game, contest, or other promotion or advertising scheme or plan in which a retail establishment offers the opportunity to receive gifts, prizes, or gratuities, as determined by chance, in order to promote its retail business, where the total announced value of the prizes offered to the general public is in excess of five hundred dollars ($500), must file a statement with the secretary of state."

The statute then details exactly what information must be included in the filed statement. In addition, the law requires the company pay a $150 filing fee. If a company runs a contest in Rhode Island, and fails to file a statement correctly, the company is actually guilty of a criminal misdemeanor!

For companies that want to run national contests, the filing fee alone means it's not really worthwhile to run the contest in Rhode Island, which has a fairly small population. When you add to that the hassle of researching Rhode Island law in order to file the statement correctly, very few national companies are going to bother. The term "retail establishment" is fairly vague, so it's not really clear if the law would apply to a non-retail Web site. It probably does, however, and for most sites, it's not worth the time to try to contact the state of Rhode Island secretary of state to find out..."

link: http://money.howstuffworks.com/question541.htm

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone know why R.I. residents , are not allowed to enter QVC sweepstakes/contests ?

Well, that explains it ! Thanks very much .
Honored Contributor

And here I thought they planned to secede from the union...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Ha ! No , we have the highest unemployment rate , 13% , and could never survive alone . Course , then we could apply for foreign aid, lol.
Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 blueskies said: Ha ! No , we have the highest unemployment rate , 13% , and could never survive alone . Course , then we could apply for foreign aid, lol.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

And, of course, you'd get it... We're very good about helping everyone but our own... and no matter how much they might despise us, too!

Wink

Occasional Contributor

Where is the sweepstakes? Even customer service couldn't find it for me!

Honored Contributor

I think I found the link on Lisa's FB page, but if this one runs true to form, it's probably closed by now... They tend not to let their 'specials' linger, after all... Sort of like those gift cards... Now you see them, a few days later, you don't...

Wink

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, blueskies! It's an odd statute, isn't it?

stevieb!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Oh , sorry I didn't check back on my own thread .....see all the comments that followed ! Was under the weather & slept a lot . I think you all answered each others questions tho & thnx fr that . Yes, stevieb , I seem to remember it didn't last long & only had a few days left at the time I posted the question . Have a nice holiday , everyone !