Honored Contributor

This morning Dan and Pat were selling that car and track system. Dan asked if everyone remembered Hot Wheels tracks. The male brand rep said yes, but Pat said, "I didn't haIve Hot Weels. I was a girl." What? I was a girl, too. I had a sister, no brothers. I had and loved Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars and the orange tracks. I still remember my favorite car, a white racer with a blue stripe across the top from front to back. I also had a slot car race track that we all loved to play with. Later Dan said that boys love sports cars when they're kids and again when they're middle-aged. Today I am a woman working in high tech. Most of the engineers are men because women tend to drop out of science, tech, engineering, and math (STEM) by college. We need more women in these fields and saying things like this does not encourage girls to get involved in tech. More women in tech would mean better representation of women in video games, apps, and research. There are lots of drugs to cure male baldness and give men erections and it's no coincidence there are a lot of men in research fields. Women are affected differently by drugs because of different metabolisms and suffer more severe side effects from medications. More women in research might be more aggressive about discovering things like this, which has only recently been determined to be a much larger issue than first thought.

There are many famous male chefs, but we still market kitchen toys to girls. And how many boys get teased because they like dolls? Those kids might grow up to be chefs, restaurants owners, or fashion designers. Toys are not gender-specific.

Saying Toy A is for girls and Toy B is for boys has lasting negative impact on the lives of women aand men everywhere. Stop doing it.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cars are for boys? Really?

Honored Contributor

Oy, those Trax... every show... While I somehow doubt anything said on the Q will have much lasting impact on the future of boys and girls and their chosen professions, I do get your point, OP, and yet, the Q is nothing if not 'traditional' (and repetitive)... Some of the pearls dropping from host mouths are as archaic as are some of these more stale than stale joyous... 'gifts'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

And some of the hosts, the Dans being among them, are far more likely to be, uh, 'traditional'... than are others...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Wonderful post! Every word!

Honored Contributor

Dan Hughes can't go one minute without making some annoying reference to being a male, even if it's some smarmy self-deprecating comment. It's his schtick.

Excellent post and important reminder, ChynnaBlue.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

And isn't that car and track system another example of cheesy gifts from the Q?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

I really, really wanted a train set when I was little. I never got one. When I was grown up and asked about it, my Dad said, "Because you were a girl, and I didn't think you were serious. You should have said".

I did have a ton of Lego. And I loved dolls and plushies. I had cars, too. I don't see why a vehicle+tracks toy is just for boys, but apparently my father thought it was.

Honored Contributor

You mean Pat Dementia?

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know why PD said that. Maybe she just reverts to such comments when she is with DW. He was also giving her the blues about her driving which annoyed me.

One of my favorite toys was a little steam shovel, and I have no idea why my parents bought it for me. Maybe I asked? I had it for years and used to play out in the dirt with it every day.