Trusted Contributor

Did you know the Q deducts money from a returned item if it is more than 30 days?

I have been a customer for probably 20 years. I recently returned a Food Saver Vacuum sealer. I didn't use it right away and when I did I wasn't happy with the performance. I bagged several bags of produce and they rotted just as fast as with an ordinary zip-loc bag. So since the price was over $100 I asked if I could return it even though it was about 2 weeks past the 30 days. Customer service said no problem. I used their return shipping label. Well, a postcard came saying they refunded me $86. What? They deducted $11 because it was past 30 days. I have never heard of this before. Apparently, the customer service person was negligent in telling me about this. Beware, people.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Did you know the Q deducts money from a returned item if it is more than 30 days?

I know at one time they told me that if they take something back that's past the 30 days, they don't refund the original shipping like they do if it's within the 30 days. Could that have been the difference?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Did you know the Q deducts money from a returned item if it is more than 30 days?

I've understood that if returns are accepted after 30 days, shipping is not refunded. If companies have a published return policy, they are, within their rights to enforce it. One of the first things I check, when I Shop with as new company, its their return/exchange policy. If a company has a 30 day policy, some will not accept returns, period. Personally, I'd be glad they accepted then return, and eat the shipping.
Honored Contributor

well, as it should be since you are returning it past the return timeframe. I didn't even know they'd even accept it past the 30 days so at least they are doing that for you.

Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 HappyDaze said:

well, as it should be since you are returning it past the return timeframe. I didn't even know they'd even accept it past the 30 days so at least they are doing that for you.

ITA. They are pretty clear about the '30 day' thing. So, it's fortunate if they would give any money back beyond that point.

The onus is on us to determine if we like something within that 30 day warranty period. They don't have to take it back at all beyond that point unless it was a case of a recall.

BTW, if you put produce in a bag and seal it up, it's pretty much the same thing as putting it in a ziplock baggie. You really cannot vacuum seal a lot of produce, but THAT is where the huge difference lies in its ability to keep foods fresher for much longer. I'm a mondo vacuum sealer and I can attest that, for foods that CAN be vacuum sealed, it makes a huge huge difference. It's the oxygen in air that deteriorates/ages food. So if it's just in a sealed bag there is still air/oxygen in the bag unless it's fully vacuum sealed.

Honored Contributor

at least you got something back and were not stuck with the food sealer, I d be OK with that

Honored Contributor

I didn't get the sense the OP was complaining, merely just advising us, and it probably would've been appropriate for CS to advise her of the policy. Agree though, it was great that they took it back after their thirty day window had closed. Still, at one time a 30 day return policy might have been a big deal, but anymore, it's really not all that unusual.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 kittymomNC said:

I know at one time they told me that if they take something back that's past the 30 days, they don't refund the original shipping like they do if it's within the 30 days. Could that have been the difference?

I believe you are correct. Earlier this year I returned a humidifier (after 30 days) that I didn't even open and got a refund minus the original cost to ship it to me. I was relieved to get it out of the house and get a refund as it was an impulse purchase that I regretted.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I meant it as an advisory. I have returned things in the past that were beyond the 30 day policy where no money was deducted. I only had to pay the return shipping as usual. But This time was different. I paid for the return shipping PLUS they deducted $11. Yes their policy is for 30 days, but they have been lenient in the past. I had Never had to pay a surcharge on a return before. So I thought I would give everyone a heads up.

Super Contributor

Well, maybe it's because you have returned several things past the 30 day period and QVC's leniency just ran out.