Esteemed Contributor

Since when do they close threads to comments?

Is this something new?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Since when do they close threads to comments?

It's becoming much more common. Not sure exactly what triggers it though.

Super Contributor

They did a survey a few months ago, and a majority of boardies said they didn't want threads removed. Either just delete offensive posts, or close the whole thread to new comments, but leave it up so people can still read most of the posts that were made.

Honored Contributor

It's not new, but does appear to be on the increase... And it's annoying. I guess I differ, but if I can no longer respond to others' remarks, especially if they've directed comments at me, then I'd prefer they simply remove the whole thread. Essentially, what it does in some cases is not allow rebuttal...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 11/5/2014 stevieb said:

It's not new, but does appear to be on the increase... And it's annoying. I guess I differ, but if I can no longer respond to others' remarks, especially if they've directed comments at me, then I'd prefer they simply remove the whole thread. Essentially, what it does in some cases is not allow rebuttal...

i agree, just delete the darned thing if closing comments.

Esteemed Contributor

Some threads are really nasty and they stay open and I have seen mild threads cl0ose I just don't understand it

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 MalteseMomma said:

Some threads are really nasty and they stay open and I have seen mild threads cl0ose I just don't understand it

There is no consistency in what threads stay put, or get removed, or get "comments closed".....It's all in the interpretation on what is considered "nasty" or "controversial"....etc etc.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 SPURT said:
On 11/6/2014 MalteseMomma said:

There is no consistency in what threads stay put, or get removed, or get "comments closed".....It's all in the interpretation on what is considered "nasty" or "controversial"....etc etc.....

And I'd suggest part of it is about who complains and 'reports'. I try to just ignore the inconsistency and get on with it, but every once in a while something goes 'poof' when there was simply no violation of 'standards' and hence no reason for it to have gone 'poof' and then I need to say something... When the 'monitoring' becomes capricious or a game of playing favorites then sorry, it's wrong and needs to be highlighted.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

There is an existing thread closed to comments where it's very clear where things went off the rails. IMO leaving the thread up lets everyone see who was largely if not solely responsible. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

A thread just got poofed that was discussing "the weather", to put it in a slightly different context so hopefully my post doesn't go with it. I have no idea why, there were no arguments, it was not politi^cal (other than where it couldn't be separated because of quotes ABOUT the subject), it was not religious, it was simply stating facts for the most part. There was a lot of good information on there, and I have no idea why it couldn't have just been closed to comments instead of going away entirely so people would have had the choice to read it if they wanted to. It was a very informative thread.

I give up...{#emotions_dlg.confused1} It's just getting to the point where there IS no point in posting.