Trusted Contributor

Increased Shipping and Handling Charges

With the holiday season fast approaching, I do a lot of online shopping. The Q's increase in shipping and handling is getting outrageous. Best standard shipping for one sweater, that will be thrown haphazardly into a bag, and will probably arrive with greasy tire tracks on the outer packaging has increased to $6.72. Other online stores I frequent I get free shipping most of the time, or if I order more than one item within a 24 hour period I get half off shipping on subsequent purchases. (something the Q would be wise to emulate, not just within one purchase order). I would not mind so much if the Q did not let my purchases languish in the "order in process" mode for two or more days on average. Heaven forbid if an order ships out within 24 hours! As usual, there is nothing new under the sun. I just hope the Q sees this and notices that as a customer, I hate to see the increases. I know I am not the only one.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Increased Shipping and Handling Charges

Today I bought a lightweight coat and two thin sweaters and the cost for shipping is more than SEVENTEEN DOLLARS.

Used to be I'd choose QVC over other retailers but now if I can find it elsewhere, I do.

Target just announced free shipping on any order for the holiday season but QVC? Nothing. Not one single break or enticement to shop here.

It just gets easier and easier to take my $$$ elsewhere.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

I could not agree with you more! I canceled an order yesterday for 2 items because the shipping was almost $20! I find I'm doing this more and more. I ordered 2 tops on the 20th and they only shipped this morning....4 days in processing and it will be another week before I get them. I used to gripe about this constantly and do nothing about it. Now I'm either canceling or not placing orders at all. QVC is so out of touch with its customers it's ridiculous. When you alienate your core customer base you have crossed a line that is hard to ever come back from. There is no other retailer that I know of that charges what they do and to add insult to injury this exorbitant shipping can take up to 2 weeks to arrive. Unacceptable!

Trusted Contributor

Shipping is never free. It costs money to ship items and the carriers are raising their prices.

While some sites do offer "free shipping," many require minimum purchases, a yearly fee, or build the costs of shipping into their base prices. Thinking that you are getting something for free actually causes you to spend even more.

Of you think QVC's shipping is overpriced, I challenger you to ship some of these items yourself to see if you can ship it for less. In many cases, you cannot. Plus, add in the cost of packaging, labor costs for someone to do the packing, insurance, and be able to not only make a profit but be able to cover shipping refunds on return items. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/24/2014 KYToby said:

Shipping is never free. It costs money to ship items and the carriers are raising their prices.

While some sites do offer "free shipping," many require minimum purchases, a yearly fee, or build the costs of shipping into their base prices. Thinking that you are getting something for free actually causes you to spend even more.

Of you think QVC's shipping is overpriced, I challenger you to ship some of these items yourself to see if you can ship it for less. In many cases, you cannot. Plus, add in the cost of packaging, labor costs for someone to do the packing, insurance, and be able to not only make a profit but be able to cover shipping refunds on return items. Good luck!

Another day, another lecture from you. Back on ignore!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Watching H S N now

now they are giving $5 shipping and everything after that free for all Iman today, why doesn't the Q try this type of thing to get customers to buy more

Regular Contributor

On 10/24/2014 KYToby said:

Unless its a house brand that cannot be found anywhere else you can find almost everything cheaper and with less S&H than on QVC. A lot of people stick here b/c of Easy Pay or because they don't feel like the hassle of shopping around. If you think the shipping is reasonable shop away! Most avid shoppers know that the S&H is exorbitant, slow, and most of the time un-trackable!

Honored Contributor

On 10/24/2014 ciley said:

I could not agree with you more! I canceled an order yesterday for 2 items because the shipping was almost $20! I find I'm doing this more and more. I ordered 2 tops on the 20th and they only shipped this morning....4 days in processing and it will be another week before I get them. I used to gripe about this constantly and do nothing about it. Now I'm either canceling or not placing orders at all. QVC is so out of touch with its customers it's ridiculous. When you alienate your core customer base you have crossed a line that is hard to ever come back from. There is no other retailer that I know of that charges what they do and to add insult to injury this exorbitant shipping can take up to 2 weeks to arrive. Unacceptable!

I underlined your words above because this is very true.

Trusted Contributor

You cannot tell me that the Q is not making a killing on shipping and handling fees at the expense of their customers. Not when Nordies, Lands End, Target*, etc offer free shipping and handling every day. (*Target has a holiday special going on now I see).

Contributor

I agree that QVC could most likely offer shipping discounts that would sway shoppers to buy. I know shipping is not cheap, but maybe they have special relationships with usps, ups, etc,. that would let them adjust their s/h. I know the shipping fees often stop me from buying. If I had a business I would consider what my competition is doing and how I could stay competitive and keep my customers happy.