Super Contributor
QVC hosts are notorious for saying "QVC is in 100 million homes." I've seen many posters saying 100 million people are watching QVC. This a complete fabrication. REALITY: 100 million people subscribe to cable TV and QVC is available to watch. It DOES NOT mean 100 million people are actually watching QVC! To further prove my point, the cable show, Walking Dead, recently aired the first show of their new season. This show had the HIGHEST RATINGS for ANY CABLE SHOW EVER with 17.3 million people watching. So there is no way that 100 million people are watching QVC!
Honored Contributor

Re: QVC Is In 100 Million Homes

On 10/14/2014 LadyBug77 said: QVC hosts are notorious for saying "QVC is in 100 million homes." I've seen many posters saying 100 million people are watching QVC. This a complete fabrication. REALITY: 100 million people subscribe to cable TV and QVC is available to watch. It DOES NOT mean 100 million people are actually watching QVC! To further prove my point, the cable show, Walking Dead, recently aired the first show of their new season. This show had the HIGHEST RATINGS for ANY CABLE SHOW EVER with 17.3 million people watching. So there is no way that 100 million people are watching QVC!

And given the programming, for good reason...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

The ratings on the TV shows are provided by those who elect to keep a box in their home so that all show that are watched by channel are recorded and reported to each station.

That is how the number of people watching a certain TV show is rated, such as Walking Dead.

QVC doesn't use the boxes, but count the number of homes that are carrying their station, and they are global. A few years back they were in 180,000,000 homes.

Honored Contributor

On 10/14/2014 LadyBug77 said: QVC hosts are notorious for saying "QVC is in 100 million homes." I've seen many posters saying 100 million people are watching QVC. This a complete fabrication. REALITY: 100 million people subscribe to cable TV and QVC is available to watch. It DOES NOT mean 100 million people are actually watching QVC! To further prove my point, the cable show, Walking Dead, recently aired the first show of their new season. This show had the HIGHEST RATINGS for ANY CABLE SHOW EVER with 17.3 million people watching. So there is no way that 100 million people are watching QVC!

Well, yeah, absolutely. Plus - why on God's Earth would 100 mil people watch qvc the same they might watch, for example, The Walking Dead? QVC is not entertainment, not a series, or anything like that. It's an infomercial IMO.

Honored Contributor

Many people I know (educated, travel a lot, up on things) do not know much about QVC and do not watch at all. Have never purchased. May be available in all those homes, but not everyone watches or buys.

Honored Contributor

Your right Ladybug....100 mill is their POTENTIAL audience, but that does not mean that all those viewers are glued to their sets at the same time 24/7....it's just another way the hosts twists the facts a bit as a sales gimmick to make sure that those on the fence about a product place that order....

But as Stevie said with their current programming and limited items shown I don't think that is their actual viewing audience....

Someone actually posted their actual Nielsen stats maybe that poster is still around and can either post current ones, or tell where the data is found....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps it's just me. However, I have never assumed that they were saying that 100 million people are viewing QVC, because most people would understand that those sort of ratings do not occur.

I have always understood it to mean, that 100 million people have access to view it if they so wish.

Honored Contributor

In fairness, while ratings surely impact sales, it's the latter I'd guess TV shopping channels are primarily concerned with... This gets to the conundrum of combining shopping with entertainment that seems to be at the heart of so many debates. Television is primarily an entertainment medium and to be competitive, shopping channels have to sell. Sales are probably maximized when ratings are higher, something QVC, with their current pedestrian line-ups need to consider... At the same time, no TV shopping entity is probably going to net ratings competitive with more purely entertainment channels. I'd guess if sales are healthy in the face of less than stellar ratings, they aren't going to mind so much...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 10/15/2014 icezeus said:

Perhaps it's just me. However, I have never assumed that they were saying that 100 million people are viewing QVC, because most people would understand that those sort of ratings do not occur.

I have always understood it to mean, that 100 million people have access to view it if they so wish.

I've never questioned this either as I understand what it means!!! Some just want to create controversy after controversy!!

Regular Contributor

I read an article a couple years ago where they talking to one of QVC executives about TV ratings. He said while QVC based there success on sales not ratings. They did use a ratings service, and that the ratings where comparable to a top 25 cable channel.