Honored Contributor

The demise of QVC, let's get real here

In reading the general tone of the posts, one would assume QVC is about to throw in the towel. The old timers don't like the social media trend, current shipping rates, slow shipping, the loss of some favorite lines and categories. Yet they have nothing to speak to the current younger generation. I need the perspective of someone familiar with business news and financial statements. I'm under the assumption QVC is still the highest volume TV retailer with the most profit. They are marketing geniuses in most respects. Please offer evidence to the contrary.

Regular Contributor

Re: The demise of QVC, let's get real here

depglass, I agree with everything you said and more.

Things I have noticed:

Why so many advanced orders????

People not receiving their AD items

Lisa leaving and I think more of the older ones will be as well.

Boring shows.

So many of the best vendors gone.

Is the Q in trouble financially?

Honored Contributor

QVC is nowhere near bankruptcy....but things don't seem to be going all that well either....And their certainly is discontent from all age demographics and fans of various categories of merchandise across the forums who continue to voice their displeasure as to the current state of the Q!

The 3rd quarter results have not been released yet, so here are the figures from the 2nd quarter for all 3 shopping channels......

Also when a Top Exec resigns "to pursue other opportunities" and losing your best sales person, that means that something is not right with the Q ......Yes in terms of revenue QVC produces more, but those results can easily change and a down direction isn't that encouraging....many retailers that were at the top have fallen Dell (formerly #1 now #4), JCP, Sears, etc etc.....

And remember QVC's international markets have performed well in Italy and China ....but some international locations are now seeing decreases due to the exchange rate in particular Japan and Germany.....The other channels don't have that advantage of international markets either...

And I don't agree with you about the "marketing geniuses"---I don't consider rotating 15 products over and over (and most of the products can be found locally with better prices), or showing the same products that are already seen on infommercials---these ideas can hardly be considered the work of "geniuses"...JMHO....{#emotions_dlg.glare}

Here's info posted from a shopping blog that obtains info from the parent company financials-

HSN’s net sales rose 6 percent, That growth outpaced industry leader QVC, which earlier in the week posted a 3 percent jump in revenue in the second quarter, to $1.4 billion.

At HSN in the quarter, digital sales were up 11 percent, with penetration increasing 180 basis points to 37.2 percent.(QVC's increased 7 percent)

Sales grew in beauty, home design, health and culinary, offset by lower sales in electronics and jewelry. Units shipped increased 4 percent and the average price point increased 2 percent. (QVC units shipped 3%)

ShopHQ, recently under new management, posted second-quarter net sales up 5 percent compared with the year-ago period, the No. 3 home shopping network said Wednesday. The Minnesota-based channel has new offices in Manhattan now, by the way.

ShopHQ’s growth in the second quarter was greater than QVC’s, but less than HSN’s. ShopHQ’s quarter was boosted by strong performances in the fashion and accessories, beauty, and health and fitness categories. (wow even troubled Shop HQ with the fight between their Board and the CEO who was ousted).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Personally I would not want to see QVC go by the wayside. I live close to Studio Park & know a few people who work there to earn their salary.

On the other hand, I do very little TV shopping b/c I live very close to various retail venues.

I'm at the time in my life, where I enjoy being out & about. My NEEDS are very little, I'm picky about my WANTS. However, going to the Malls just to browse, maybe pick up an impulse buy b/c the price was so good, works for me.

Honored Contributor

While the financials are interesting and to some extent, from what I've seen recently, telling, what I rely on is my own ears and eyes, and QVC has become arguably the most boring of the big three, has become utterly tedious television, and certainly rarely features anything of interest to me anymore. When they do feature a brand I like, I'm still not likely to be all that motivated to tune in because chances are they've already beaten the brand into the ground and will turn right around and feature it again and again and again in short order. It's redundancy has become legion and the continued narrowing down of brands and items featured on-air ensures that I'm watching less than I ever have.

QVC has so diluted itself that it bears virtually no resemblance to the retail operation with which I initially formed a relationship. While I find what I assume to be 'corporate's' directives to hosts resulting in demeanor that is largely ridiculous, as well as constant references to social media, annoying, these factors alone wouldn't be sufficient to induce me to pick up my cards and leave the table. Taken in combination with everything else, however, yes, I'm inclined to decline a piece of this increasingly sloppy cake...

With Lisa's imminent departure, I'll be watching still far fewer hours than I am now. I can't speak for others and have little notion what the future holds for QVC, but do know what the future holds for my ever-dwindling relationship with QVC and quite honestly, it isn't pretty...

As for the overall picture, I'm sure QVC will always have a cadre of 'the faithful' willing to stick with this train wreck through thick or thin, but one wonders just how large that cadre is. Reading these boards, and Lisa's leaving aside, I'm pretty clearly far from the only one who's finding QVC utterly unwatchable and we're seeing more and more comments from people who are saying so... They can continue to tout their 'new' customers, but one is left wondering whether or not these 'new' shoppers will be in for the long haul, as some of those of us who appear to be moving away have been. Personally, given the current state of QVC, I sort of doubt it.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.
Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 nutmeg3 said: i do not think QVC is going out of business anytime soon. Have folks noticed the number of guests on the forum sometimes 13000 plus. The QVC customer is changing. They are more tech savy than some of us older people that frequent this forum.

I do not think that being tech savvy has made the impact QVC has hoped for...---QVC has emphasized their social media, but neither the number of people in the forums or on their Facebook pages have impacted their sales figures other than the fact that their financials show more people prefer to to be ordering online rather than calling in and having a QVC Customer Service Representative place their order for them. Or some don't watch their TV programming just place an order online for the few vendors that they still like. But their sales figures aren't that hot...

As far as the number of people viewing or participating in the forums...why some of the threads even mention where one can find a better deal elsewhere....And many come to read or post because of the comradery and friendships that have been made, or just to chat or get recommendations or suggestions or debate various topics....it's become more of a popular meeting place, but that is still not translating into better sales figures ..... And from what I've heard other shopping channel forums are much more moderated and restrictive and people find them a tad boring so many that seldom or never shop here still prefer to post here....

I think QVC is having a problem retaining their current customers---which QVC's CEO described as being between 45 and 65. The younger demographic may be buying beauty products, but studies show the younger folks aren't into cooking, and they think QVC clothes and jewelry are "frumpy", their electronics are outdated.....so who are they attracting....it seems only those that have shopped with the Q for years and years and have that affinity with QVC and a particular hosts, and view the hosts are their friends/family so they will continue to be here. But who else---they may get a "drive by" shopper making a major purpose--computer/tablet/vacuum/keurig but how many of these items does one need, you certainly don't need big ticket items week after week... and will they even be back and become a regular customer....It seems many current customers have become disenchanted....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't see what tech savvy has to do with it... The fact that some customers are more inclined to jump on Facebook means what? It doesn't negate the limited options, dreadful programming, ever-declining list of vendors and brands available and so on. Moreover, it would seem that more tech savvy viewers will be even less interested in hearing about or purchasing dated technology than are those who don't really know the difference.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I've been a long time customer of QVC and up until the last 6months or so, all my discretionary spending had been with the Q and that has been for over a decade. Many days, everything I had on was from the Q. I would guess that among the people I know, since I don't have children or a lot of expenses, that I spend more money than average in terms of discretionary spending. Finally, after much disappointment and having to return things that were mostly defective or incorrectly sized, I have started to branch out to the other shopping channels. I have not completely stopped shopping here, but I do see a day when all I may buy from them is Wen and nothing else. I always liked QVC and I want to see them succeed and retain their position, but I don't see how that can happen if they continue along the path they are on. I wish they would send out a survey like ShopHQ did and listen to their long time customers before they lose them all.
Honored Contributor

On 10/13/2014 stevieb said:

I don't see what tech savvy has to do with it... The fact that some customers are more inclined to jump on Facebook means what? It doesn't negate the limited options, dreadful programming, ever-declining list of vendors and brands available and so on. Moreover, it would seem that more tech savvy viewers will be even less interested in hearing about or purchasing dated technology than are those who don't really know the difference.

I agree, Stevie.