Not applicable

Declined card - funds came out anyway..??

I attempted to place an order today.. as a gift and need it shipped asap.

After submitting the order, it said card declined.. I went to my credit card account and it said funds pending for QVC.. If they decline it, why the heck do the leave the funds pending and take the $ from your account?? ARGGHHH..

Now I can't even use that same card for buying something else because they took $124.00 out - well its on hold till they release it... UGH!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Declined card - funds came out anyway..??

It will take few days for it to go off hold.
Honored Contributor

What kind of card? On my credit cards, pending doesn't tie up my credit nor cost me any money.

I'm thinking the problem has little to do with QVC.

Respected Contributor

Why should a pending charge prevent you from using the card? I have pending charges all the time, it doesn't stop me from charging other items.
Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 millieshops said:

What kind of card? On my credit cards, pending doesn't tie up my credit nor cost me any money.

Wow, what kind of credit card do you have? My bank and credit card company always hold the funds right away when I use my credit or debit cards -- they've done this for the 40 years that I've had cards. How long depends on the bank. My bank and credit card company release the funds in 3 days. My credit union released them in 7 days.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried contacting Customer Service? The reason why I ask is that if they have declined the card, I don't understand how the funds can be tied up in "pending".

Honored Contributor

Sure they withhold the funds and it's shown as pending but that shouldn't stop you from using your card unless you are maxed out and you didn't have enough to charge that purchase with but the hold was already there immediately after you ordered so then you will have to wait to charge anything else.

Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

Wow, what kind of credit card do you have? My bank and credit card company always hold the funds right away when I use my credit or debit cards -- they've done this for the 40 years that I've had cards. How long depends on the bank. My bank and credit card company release the funds in 3 days. My credit union released them in 7 days.

Calm... You're probably right. I never charge up to my credit limit because I don't care to damage my FICO score. But I know even if I have 4 or 5 pending charges, as long as there's space on my card, I can charge away. Pending only stops one's ability to buy if there's no ability left.

I have never used a debit card - for lots of reasons. Never will.

Sorry to say, I still think that there's something strange going on with this post - as with the several previous threads started regarding this particular attempted purchase.

Honored Contributor

On 9/6/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

Calm... You're probably right. I never charge up to my credit limit because I don't care to damage my FICO score. But I know even if I have 4 or 5 pending charges, as long as there's space on my card, I can charge away. Pending only stops one's ability to buy if there's no ability left.

I have never used a debit card - for lots of reasons. Never will.

Sorry to say, I still think that there's something strange going on with this post - as with the several previous threads started regarding this particular attempted purchase.

I agree with you...I never charge to the max so this isn't an issue for me either. I wonder if that's what the OP did...so she didn't have any available credit on the card. Either way, i agree that something smells.

Super Contributor

Maybe it was a debit card- tied to real money/funds- either a checking account debit or credit card debit card.