Occasional Contributor

I'm so disappointed with the lack of Irish shows

I haven't posted here in years, and I'm not even sure where I should post this. I look sooo forward to the Irish shows 2x a year, and I'm so disappointed that there were so few hours of Rose of Tralee today. I heard Jane say there will be 19 hours on St Patrick's Day, which is great, but I only got to see around two hours of the shows today. Eight hours was probably not even worth the vendors' time to come here. Please add more hours next year!

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm so disappointed with the lack of Irish shows

At least you get something. QVC does not do shows for other immigrant groups, and really, what is the point? Most of these overpriced items are available elsewhere for less.

Esteemed Contributor

Good point KYToby.....I wonder if the Q would consider other groups to highlight with their culture items....

Do you suppose our Irish Friends wonder why they have been cut by so many hours...or maybe they requested the cut back....to be on air for so many hours has to be tiring for them....none of them are youngsters....difficult to be upbeat round the clock.....

Occasional Contributor

On 9/2/2014 KYToby said:

At least you get something. QVC does not do shows for other immigrant groups, and really, what is the point? Most of these overpriced items are available elsewhere for less.

Oh, could you please provide the url? Thanks! And have you ever requested for other immigrants groups to have shows? Or maybe others aren't interested in selling on QVC.

Occasional Contributor

On 9/2/2014 circles said:

Good point KYToby.....I wonder if the Q would consider other groups to highlight with their culture items....

Do you suppose our Irish Friends wonder why they have been cut by so many hours...or maybe they requested the cut back....to be on air for so many hours has to be tiring for them....none of them are youngsters....difficult to be upbeat round the clock.....

Yes, it would be tiring. You're right, maybe they did request it. I'm just thinking of myself and missing the all day/night shows haha

Honored Contributor

I think it's time for these Irish shows to be phased out. They are a total bore. We don't even have a ""made in the USA"" day....that would be more appropriate.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Really? Other immigrant groups? I am amazed at the naïveté.

SAINT Patrick -- emphasis on SAINT -- was a Catholic that happened to be British, not Irish.

I think political correctness has rotted your brain.

Do some research on St. Patrick. He was no immigrant. Well, unless you consider being born in Great Britain and then being kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a form of "immigration".

In Ireland, it is considered a holy day of obligation so it's a bit more than a reason for a parade.

Honored Contributor

As with most things, the more viewers like a product line the less they show of it.

I'm incredibly bored with their line up....electronics, mattresses, hair products, make-up, vacuums, fake jewelry/bronzo/clad/resin, kitchen, etc, rinse and repeat.

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 KYToby said:

immigrant groups? It's a product line, not an immigrant group. big diff.

Honored Contributor

Personally, the first year or two I watched QVC I enjoyed a few hours of the 'Irish' shows. Since then, I might catch a bit here or there but am certainly not glued to the screen. The vendors all seem to be lovely people and to be sure, this programming IS at least a change from what has become the Q's rather dreary and repetitive offerings. Still, I find a few hours adequate. The Irish vendors tend to bring essentially the same products each visit, most of which is available on the website year 'round.

All that said, I think what most people find unfortunate about the Q's seeming move away from this sort of programming is that it's just one more indication of the Q's having gone in a programming direction that many of us find less than riveting. QVC has more or less lost the 'personal touch' they once seemed to have. It's now all about what they view as a less folksy and more sophisticated approach to the hyping of the same handful of brands and the same type of products. Just look at the program guide for any given week and the instances where one might see products that are a bit off the beaten track are slim to none. I think many of us miss that aspect of this company.

For the record, I don't think this is any more about the extent to which QVC offers 'immigrant' focused programming than are the days or hours they set aside for, say, Israeli jewelry, and find related commentary rather vapid. The issue here seems to be about beloved vendors and somewhat more unique than the norm products, and that the Irish programming offers some long-time viewers at least some vestige of the Q that was... If for no other reason, I hope they keep paying at least a passing nod to it. I'd also surmise that any reduction in this programming is not likely at the behest of the vendors...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...