Trusted Contributor

Wedding as Corporate PR Event

Does anyone else find it sad or odd that Courtney is turning her wedding into a public, commercial event for QVC? I can understand that some QVC followers may take an interest in hosts' personal lives.........but this young woman is making every aspect of her wedding and reception fodder for QVC's online community and public participation.

I can't figure out if she's getting paid extra for this, if she's seeking personal publicity and notariety, or if she just has no sense of a division between personal and private life. I wouldn't do this, and I wonder how her family and her fiance feel about it!

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Wedding as Corporate PR Event

I don't see it as any different from lots of "public" weddings. For example, for years one of the most watched segments on the Today show was the series finding a couple to get married on the set. Thousands voted on every tiny aspect of the wedding.

On the really fake side, I remember learning years ago when soaps were at their biggest and showing up on almost all the major channels that if ratings dropped, the writers would write in a wedding!

I'm not upset by Courtney's wedding, but I also don't care about it. Still, considering how much weddings mean to so many people, I think it's a good business decision for QVC and Courtney to get as many people involved as they can.

This post will be the extent of my involvement!

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of people who don't like her and I'm guessing that QVC is hoping this will endear her to them.

Personally, I think it's stupid .... and phony. Customers were asked to "vote" on things and help her make choices, but most people know that these things need to be decided MANY months in advance!

Stupid. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

On 9/2/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

There are a lot of people who don't like her and I'm guessing that QVC is hoping this will endear her to them.

Personally, I think it's stupid .... and phony. Customers were asked to "vote" on things and help her make choices, but most people know that these things need to be decided MANY months in advance!

Stupid. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

I don't think this is the same as TV shows that "give" a deserving couple a wedding or that type of thing. I think it is stupid and phony also. I don't care for Courtney's hosting style and I think this is ridiculous as viewers really are not having any say in any part of it, most of us don't care, can't see how it will get QVC more sales, etc. She has already discussed her fiance', their home, etc. enough. Her wedding should be a private event.

Respected Contributor

I think it's tacky and very Kardashian like to use her wedding like that. Another QVC host that is oversharing personal stuff. I guess QVC has to do that since they don't have interesting/quality merchandise to peddle, so they just sell their hosts hoping viewers don't notice the boring products and programming.

Trusted Contributor

We know there are some posters on this board who believe certain hosts are their best buds and defend them till the cows come home if anyone dares to say anything remotely negative about them. It is really not all that surprising that QVC promotes this kind of thing - the hosts are your friends, share in Courtney's happy day.

Regular Contributor

I don't even know who she is but IMO it is a bad idea - one that has backfired on QVC in the past. Shawn had a proposal on-air I believe, but not from the guy she is married to. Judy and Jeffrey had a well-publicized something-or-another that ended in a wedding and quickly a divorce. I think their personal lives should largely be personal. And a wedding too should be personal - strangers should not be helping in the decision.

Super Contributor

I think it is just too personal. And who cares. It is a shopping channel...selling pooping moose's for gosh sake!
Trusted Contributor

I doubt if she's getting paid but I wouldn't be surprised if the Q got better prices for her on different things for her wedding. I can't believe anyone would do that without getting something in return.

Trusted Contributor

I would assume that people who have any interest, for whatever reason, might watch, at least, now and then, and people who think it's an awful idea and have no interest, won't watch.

Both viewpoints are valid, we're interested in what we're interested in.

So watch, or don't. I can't see how, either way, it's a problem.