Respected Contributor

I woke up this morning and checked my e-mail while enjoying my coffee. Imagine my surprise when I had an order confirmation for over $2,000 worth of merchandise!

I immediately logged in to my account and cancelled the order for 2 watches and 4 computers that were billed to me with ship to another location. I have NEVER ever used bill to/ship to someone else ever, yet QVC apparently didn't challenge this order at all.

I called CS and spoke to a woman and explained what has happened and asked if this was what was behind the big outage the other days, she said she would have no way of knowing this. She entered my card as "stolen" into their system so a new card could be sent. I said, no, it wasn't stolen it was hacked. I keep my card locked away. She said they didn't have an option to enter it as hacked. I asked for a supervisor. I waited on hold until I was told a supervisor wasn't available but I could request a call back and would hear from them within 4 hours. I got the number for corporate (not an 800 number by the way, but I have unlimited long distance). I called corporate and asked for fraud department. Transferred, put on hold, offered voice mail, held again, then an automated message instructs I must leave a voice mail.

BE WARNED FOLKS - Keep a close eye on your account. If you don't have it set up to confirm your ordered via e-mail set it up NOW!!! If you have any other cards on your account contact your card holders and report that you suspect QVC has been hacked and to either increase surveillance on your cards, or have them cancelled and new account numbers issued.

The nightmare begins.

Honored Contributor

It's an awful feeling!

Another bad thing about it is that, even though they HAVE the address associated with the thief, they won't pursue anything and that person, or persons, will just move on and steal from somebody else. They'll keep doing it because they know two things - 1) sometimes they will actually pull it off; and 2) Nobody will pursue them and put their butt in jail, where they belong, so they can just keep on keepin' on. Smiley Sad

I've had hacks on cards a few times over the years and this is the part that irks me the most. More than one financial institution has told me that it's just not cost-effective to pursue the thieves so they just write it off and the thief, even if they DID end up with the merchandise or money, gets away with it and can keep on doing it to others.

Respected Contributor
On 8/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

It's an awful feeling!

Another bad thing about it is that, even though they HAVE the address associated with the thief, they won't pursue anything and that person, or persons, will just move on and steal from somebody else. They'll keep doing it because they know two things - 1) sometimes they will actually pull it off; and 2) Nobody will pursue them and put their butt in jail, where they belong, so they can just keep on keepin' on. Smiley Sad

I've had hacks on cards a few times over the years and this is the part that irks me the most. More than one financial institution has told me that it's just not cost-effective to pursue the thieves so they just write it off and the thief, even if they DID end up with the merchandise or money, gets away with it and can keep on doing it to others.

Wow, that really is insane!

I talked with my banker right after talking with the Q. My bank DOES pursue credit card fraud vigorously.

Honored Contributor

Sheesh ...... WHY is QVC so nonchalant about this?

Honored Contributor
On 8/29/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 8/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

It's an awful feeling!

Wow, that really is insane!

I talked with my banker right after talking with the Q. My bank DOES pursue credit card fraud vigorously.

Oh, that's awesome! I'm very glad to hear that all banks don't just write it off and ignore it. That was just upset on top of upset when I learned that. I tend to ask questions and that's how I learned from a few that they just let it go and write it off. I found that to be offensive.

Valued Contributor

Buck,

Was this your Q CARD or another card?

THANK YOU for warning us ... and I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. I never registered my Q card yet (recently received but did not use). This is why I might resort back to paying with a check.

Honored Contributor

I check my credit cards almost every day. Thanks to this thread, I just checked the card I use for my Q purchases. It's fine, but if they actually were subject to a huge hacking, thieves could be into anyone's cards.

Two questions: Did you recognize the address the merchandise was sent to? Was it in the US?

So many hackers aren't even located in the US. That's one of the reasons companies don't go after them. Governments in Russia or Nigeria or wherever don't much care to help - never have and the cynic in me says they never will!

Respected Contributor
On 8/29/2014 mercyMe said:

Buck,

THANK YOU for warning us ... and I am sorry to hear about your dilemma. I never registered my Q card yet (recently received but did not use). This is why I might resort back to paying with a check.

Yes, it was my Q card.

The QVC finance woman I talked to claimed that it was my QVC account itself that was fraudulently accessed and that all my financial data is safe. Hmmm, why am I not believing that?

She had me change my QVC account password and they have my account flagged so any changes or orders being shipped to a different address will be challenged. Still, not feeling secure. It really bothers me how blase QVC is about their e-commerce and this website. I have no reason to believe anything is secure. When I challenged her regarding the site being down for so long the other day, she said it was because they were updating "outlook"....well, outlook is an intranet corporate e-mail system and shouldn't have anything to do with the e-commerce site. Now, if she'd said exchange server update, I'm maybe almost would have believed her.

Respected Contributor
On 8/29/2014 millieshops said:

I check my credit cards almost every day. Thanks to this thread, I just checked the card I use for my Q purchases. It's fine, but if they actually were subject to a huge hacking, thieves could be into anyone's cards.

Two questions: Did you recognize the address the merchandise was sent to? Was it in the US?

So many hackers aren't even located in the US. That's one of the reasons companies don't go after them. Governments in Russia or Nigeria or wherever don't much care to help - never have and the cynic in me says they never will!

I had never seen the address it was being shipped to, nor did I recognize the name of the addressee. Given the high value of the items (4 laptop computers) I would have thought they would have to be signed for, but who knows with QVC anymore.

The order was being shipped to Oviedo FL.

Honored Contributor
On 8/29/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 8/29/2014 mercyMe said:

Buck,

Yes, it was my Q card.

The QVC finance woman I talked to claimed that it was my QVC account itself that was fraudulently accessed and that all my financial data is safe. Hmmm, why am I not believing that?

She had me change my QVC account password and they have my account flagged so any changes or orders being shipped to a different address will be challenged. Still, not feeling secure. It really bothers me how blase QVC is about their e-commerce and this website. I have no reason to believe anything is secure. When I challenged her regarding the site being down for so long the other day, she said it was because they were updating "outlook"....well, outlook is an intranet corporate e-mail system and shouldn't have anything to do with the e-commerce site. Now, if she'd said exchange server update, I'm maybe almost would have believed her.

QVC had a website problem the other day ...... I don't know how just ONE customer's Q card could be hacked ..... maybe QVC has been totally hacked and MANY of us have had account information stolen! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Are there any computer geek geniuses here that could tell me if that's even possible .... only ONE Q card gets hacked? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}