Trusted Contributor

Giving the EZ pay price as the sales price?

Several times today I've heard the host give the price of the item as the easy pay price, not the actual sales price! They are not saying "you can get it home for...", which is the norm, they are saying the price IS. Jane T. just did it during the JR hour presenting a sheath dress. I did a double take when she said you can buy the dress for $22! Well yes, but there's another $22! If this is a new sales tactic, I think the Feds will be knocking at the Q's door! Meanwhile, since, let's face it, most sales are on impulse, listen carefully!
Honored Contributor

Re: Giving the EZ pay price as the sales price?

They might reel us in this way, but the full price is always disclosed when ordering, whether on-line or via phone and then it's completely up to us...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I hardly think the Feds will be knocking on Q's door. The hosts are not saying anything that isn't true.

Honored Contributor

A person that I worked with bought an auto delivery that included four Judith Ripka bracelets. This person thought she was getting all the bracelets for the price of the first one!! Imagine her surprise. I think we all should be certain of the money amount we are spending when ordering. Those easy pays can quickly add up, and often times the shipping and handling adds a significant amount to the price. There is one host that continually leaves the change amount off when giving the price. It makes her seem insincere and I don't trust anything she has to say. One of her favorites lines is If I am honest.
Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that as well - a sales gimmick. Every other product has EZ pays -- to distract from the "real" price plus shipping/handling and taxes. I always say, if u can't afford to pay it in full --- u can't afford to buy it. I know there are people that like paying things out -- except, when u receive ur credit card bills - reality hits.

Respected Contributor

Kivah, I wish "every other product" had EZ pays! I can afford to buy items when I stretch out the payments. For me, it works.

Respected Contributor

I noticed that they make the graphic for the EZ pay amount larger and more prominent than the full price. I've done a double take a few times. I wonder how many people don't catch that and get charged more than they expect? There is nothing legally wrong with it, but is that ethical? IMO I think it is pushing the line.
Super Contributor

That has been going on for some time and it is really awful. To say "you can get this item for $8" when it is 5 easy pays of $8 is just plain dishonest. Maybe most of us understand what is going on, but I am sure not every buyer understands. They used to say you could get it home for $8 and clarify that there are 4 more easy pays, but that is not always true now.
Super Contributor

I noticed this too OP. I don't think it's right as some people, for whatever reasons may think that is the actual price of the item. I think it's trickery and false advertising! They need to say the total amount and say it's on ezpay. Some people cannot get to the USPS to return items and may be stuck with their purchases. Yes, I know you can schedule a pickup, but it is very tricky to get it done. Smile

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like it either, OP....very misleading....I always think of the consumers who may be hard of hearing...or have problems with sight....are they really understanding the cost...

I have good sight and hearing but I have been caught off guard with Hosts presentations..good thing I take a second look before I purchase....